Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: storing hard drives (archiving files)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

It is getting to a point where I can no longer backup all of my stuff to optical media, so I have to move onto using hard drives for archiving. I will still continue to use DVDs and Blu-Rays for irreplaceable stuff like family pictures, important documents, etc, but for everything else (video and music collection, etc) I'll have to store those on an external USB hard drive.

My question is this: if I only use this drive may be 1 or 2 times per year, and the rest of the time it stays in storage (a climate controlled room at room temps--a safe deposit box), am I going to decrease the life of the drive or should I just not worry about it. I remember way back when I had an old IDE drive that failed because it had been sitting around for about 5 years not being used, and finally when I did decide to use it, it failed right away (but it had been working when I put into storage, and it wasn't really moved that much so it's unlikely it was damaged from impact, static, magnetics, etc). But that is just an example of my concern.

Some of the archive stuff will change, and be updated as needed so burning it all to blu-ray would get to be a problem when it came time to "refresh" my archive/backup.

Should I be concerned about storing an external drive (or bare internal drive for that matter) for long periods of time? Should I use the drive at least 1-2 times per year just to keep it "Working"?

Post subject: Re: storing hard drives (archiving files)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:20 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

"Way back when", drives would park the heads somewhere on the disk. If they stayed there a while, recording media from the disks would stick to the heads. Starting up the drive would rip that bit of media off the disk and score/scratch the surface, damaging the drive and losing the data. Since more modern drives park the heads off-disk, this should be less of a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiction#Hard_disk_drives

The only other long-term storage issues I've read about is bearing lube drying out or gumming up due to lack of use, and the magnetic surfaces losing strength over time and losing the data. Exercising the drives a few times a year should keep things nice and loose, bearing-wise. But unless the data is refreshed every so often, you may start having bad sectors and data loss after a few years.

https://superuser.com/questions/284427/ ... s-its-data

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It sounds like to me this holds the same issues with any sufficiently complicated mechanical machine. I guess it's like you can't store your car in a garage for two years and expect it to work no problem without properly mothballing it up.

You could use flash based medium as a consideration. However since flash is essentially very low leakage caps, you'll have to power it up once in a while, but you won't have to do anything else. But supposedly higher-end devices have data retention without power for up to 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Uh, you do know that optical disks are pretty vulnerable too, right? I'd be doing LG's M-Disc if you are going to rely on ODD's.

Any device sitting around will age. Probably the safest storage I can imagine is an SSD. No moving parts. Pretty stable memory. But it still uses a small circuit board that can fail eventually. An external enclosure with USB3 should have some futureproof to it.

You might also consider a case for the drive---while shockproof is only useful for hard drives, they are static resistant too.