Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question on quad core vs. hyper-threading for games.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi!

This is a question in regards to the speed differences I would receive by upgrading my i5 4670k @ 4.6GHZ to an i7 4770k cpu for games. I just built this rig a few months ago (as Latios may remember, thanks for all the help man!) and there were only speculations as to when hyper-threading would be incorporated into pc games. Well now that next gen is almost upon us with the new consoles games like Watchdogs have had hyper-threaded or 8-core processors recommended for them (although that recommendation was later retracted, I believe). But the point is, games will indeed be designed with these processors in mind at SOME point, it is inevitable. But my question is how much of a performance gain will I really get if I upgrade to an i7 from an i5 with a speedy and stable overclock to 4.6GHZ? I checked out some comparisons on sites like Anandtech's bench comparisons and it really didn't look like it would be that much of a performance increase. Are these benchmarks accurate? I do believe most of those benchmarks were for software applications outside of gaming, though.

Post subject: Re: Question on quad core vs. hyper-threading for games.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:42 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I don't think you did a damn thing prior and as you stand now you won't gain anything either. Blunt, but true.

Your i7 4670K will carry through the next set of games just fine. When you game, you focus more on the GPU that pumps your screen pixels. If you're keeping the same screen(s), then you should be fine with the next game you want to install. When your GPU's fail to do this, then your CPU starts taking a hit. This is still a basic truth. As a gamer you'd be better off putting money in some bigger and better screens before asking what do I drive these with? When it comes to 2600K screens, CPU's like you have aren't the issue.

I'm running some AMD 290's for my little 24" screens and a lowly 3550p CPU. I feel CPU's are the bottom of the discussion when it comes to games. Talk about screens, GPU's, the games you play, and then slightly mention CPU. Spend your money wisely on the PC or join the consoles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well, Chumly's explanation aside...

Do note that a proper CPU benchmark for games does it with graphics settings turned down to the minimum. If you take the video card they used (which is going to be the highest-end GPU they can get their hands on) and see benchmarks for that, chances are the two aren't going to deviate much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thank you for your replies. It's Good to know I'll be ok CPU-wise for the foreseeable future.