Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Refreshed Haswell, 2014?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:01 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Just got the new Issue of Maximum PC today and read about a possible Haswell refresh in 2014. This is great news if it comes to fruition as I waited a few months to build my current Haswell rig because I wanted an upgrade-able system. I currently have an Asus Z87-A Motherboard with an i5-4670k CPU and was bummed when I heard that Broadwell was going to use a new chipset and wouldn't be compatible. If there is a new Haswell CPU coming out compatible with my Motherboard that would be great. I was also a little bummed reading that an eight core processor was recommended for Watchdogs as I didn't think octa-cores would be needed in the near future when I built my rig. Therefore I went for a quad core.. but being able to upgrade to an i7 with 8 cores or at least 4 cores with hyperthreading that is substantially more powerful than my current i5 would be great. I really don't want to spend $350 on an i7-4770k as it doesn't seem worth it considering my current chip is still quite capable and cost $250 already. Does anyone have any more information on said Haswell Refresh?

*Edit* Didn't think they'd have much info on the web yet but I did searching and apparently Z97 boards will be the new hot boards for the Haswell refresh. Dang.

Post subject: Re: Refreshed Haswell, 2014?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Are you asking for technical questions (No) or assistance in some odd upgrade (another section of this forum)?

I think you'll be fine with the 1150s board, don't upgrade any CPU from the 4670K Haswell you just did. What you just read about Broadwell is not meant for us in the desktops and will more than likely be the BGA builds for mobile devices. This is where that rumor that "sockets are dead" came from and why being the newest tech isn't something for you or I to freak out about...because ya'll did.

We just don't need more cores as a general statement. You did well just paying for an i5, but could have saved more with an i3 more than likely. I have a few general use i5's that never cycle the other cores; do you see this as well? I think you're aiming at Maximum PC here and not the forum in general. Maximum PC will always strive for the most hard core out there and not something PC Gamer or Common iPad user would purchase.

I personally think Haswell is an ignorant purchase for any desktop builders. You meant to talk to an editor of the mag that said this or us that agree with you?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I was just looking for any more info on the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:51 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Broadwell is due after Q2 2014.