Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hard Drive to SSD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm 

I just bought a small SSD (128GB). Can I just install it in my rig and copy the files from Windows and my games from my present hard drive ,leaveing that in for storage.
Then change the bios to boot from the SSD without doing a clean install of Windows? I don't want to lose my saved games or current windows settings. Is this possible? The 128 Gb on the SSD is not enough to clone all the info on the hard drive.

Post subject: Re: Hard Drive to SSD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh here's a doozy.

The problem here is that you simply cannot copy and paste the files you want over. The default copy operation isn't deep enough and even the elusive robocopy will have a fit. I used it once to see if I could move my Users folder over and it ended up creating a recursive directory so deep that Windows refused to delete it because the pathname is too long (don't ask me how that works).

The only folder you really need to backup if you're concerned about losing your saves and settings is the %APPDATA% folder (type that in the run command) and your Documents folder. You may want to look at the My Games folder as well. All you have to do is copy those out somewhere and just paste it back into your user folder. As far as migrating goes you have only two options.

The first is to install Windows on the SSD and move the folders I mentioned back into your user folder. This is probably the least painful way of doing a migration. Alternatively you could copy the entire user folder and paste it back in. In my experience, anything you can't copy out of say the %APPDATA% folder isn't part of anything important.

The second is to get the C:\ partition size to less than 128GB (probably around 120GB to be safe), get a partition management tool like Partition Magic, shrink the partition size down appropriately. Follow the first three steps at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx (specifically "Review the current boot configuration (BCD) before changing the system partition", "Use Disk Management console to create a new primary disk partition from unused disk space for the new System partition" and "Mark the new partition as Active" ). Clone the Windows partition over, then finish the rest of the steps in that guide as applicable as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 pm 

Sounds like a lot. I was afraid of this. I guess I'll just do a clean install and be done with it. I do dread downloading my games again from origin. Lots of gigabytes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:00 am 

navyvet17 wrote:
Sounds like a lot. I was afraid of this. I guess I'll just do a clean install and be done with it. I do dread downloading my games again from origin. Lots of gigabytes.

May I recommend Migrate OS to SSD from Paragon Software? For $20 you can get the program and it will migrate windows without having to reinstall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'd also recommend you keep that spindle drive as a storage/documents drive in this same build so you're not clogging up data that doesn't require the speed the SSD allows.

My mindset on SSD's are the same as they were when Raptors and Cheetah's were king: treat them like a drive 1/3's the actual capacity. Movies, music, videos, documents...all that stuff can sit just fine and dandy on a re-directed My Documents file over on a platter. That SSD space is precious and you'll start to see some programs start to abuse it. Bioshock, as an example, is 16GB and wanted for the most part. But when I'm done playing it for the 6th time, I eventually want that off the SSD. If you edit media, that game is small stuff to all the edited material you may find fracturing up your drive.

I digress. If you just use your computer normally it'll be fine...it's just a heads up that you can fill up even a 1TB SSD without a mindset that the drive space is precious.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:05 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Not to mention media files and such are designed to suck up as little bandwidth as possible, so even if they're multi-gigabytes in size, they don't benefit from SSDs except maybe copying them around.