Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2GB VRAM doesn't cut it anymore??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

So I just built my custom $1200 gaming rig a few months ago. I have two GTX 660 cards running in SLI in it. Each is the 2GB variety. Battlefield 4 recommends 3GB of VRAM for your rig. What the heck? Even $400 GTX 770's only have 2GB (with the 4GB versions costing $50 more).

My real question is just what am I going to be missing out on without the extra gigabyte of VRAM? Do you think I can still max it out on ULTRA and get decent frame rates? The rest of my computer meets and exceeds the recommended specs. My Rig:

Windows 8 Pro
Intel 4670K Haswell CPU OC'ed to 4.6GHZ
Asus Z87-A Motherboard
16GB DDR3 2400MHZ RAM
500GB Samsung 840 SSD
2TB 7200RPM HDD
Dual GTX 660 2GB RAM Video Cards

Post subject: Re: 2GB VRAM doesn't cut it anymore??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:18 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Guerrilla Games' Killzone presentation on page 9 or 10 gives a nice breakdown of video memory usage.

Essentially all that memory is used extensively in is texture data and render targets. Basically, if you want high resolution textures, this eats into your VRAM heavily. If you want nice post-processing effects and antialiasing, this also eats into your memory. So what'll happen if you run out of video memory? Same thing with main memory: your performance starts to suffer. However, video game developers are opting more for memory efficient techniques so I wouldn't worry about this too much. If anything, VRAM isn't really so much important as your raw GPU compute performance.

But hey, at least you didn't fall into the trap that you have two 2GB cards and that meant you have 4GB.

Post subject: Re: 2GB VRAM doesn't cut it anymore??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi Latios. Thanks for your reply and info. I'll crank the game to ultra when I get it and see how it goes from there.