Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Affect of a more robust peer added to existing network?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:08 am 

I'm sorry that I don't have more specifics regarding hardware, but hopefully there is enough here for a generalized answer.

Frequently I use the computers made available at my local library. There are perhaps 125 public workstations, of various vintages.

Earlier, roughly half of those machines were Dell Optiplex model 520 units, and the other half were newer Del Optiplex model 755. (As an aside, all of these machines ran reasonably well on Windows XP, but when they were all "upgraded" to Windows 7 professional, the performance of the 520's went to the dogs.)

All of the machines would run MS office apps (locally) reasonably well, and perform standard web based tasks (email, google, wikipedia, etc) But doing things such as running graphics intensive facebook games, were beyond the capabilities of the 520's (the time it took to load all the graphics ran into 5-10 minute range and often resulted in a crash of the browser). The 755's on the other hand ran facebook games reasonably well.

This past year the library replaced all the 520's with newer Dell Optiplex 7010 (Intel i3-2120 @ 3.3ghz, 4Gb ram), and AN ODD THING HAPPENED.

Now the newer 7010 machines run the graphics intensive games well, but the performance of the 755's have degraded significantly almost to the point they are as bad as the older 520's.

So, I'm just wondering if the capabilities of the more robust machines are somehow allowing them to usurp bandwidth at the expense of the less capable peers on the same network?

Thoughts?

I can tell you for certain that this is not just a case of the 755's appearing slower once I've been spoiled by the faster newer machines. The 755's were more than adequate when they were the big dog in the neighborhood, and have since the addition of the 7010s become so slow they are barely useable.

Post subject: Re: Affect of a more robust peer added to existing network?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:09 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

There should be no difference in the performance of the old 755s....unless the Library throttled them down so people don't play games on them. :mrgreen: They may do the same to the newer pcs as well.

Nasty