Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Remembering the best PC Hardware
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Remembering the best PC Hardware
I didn't see it posted here in the forums, but I did see it on FB which as everyone knows is still pretty horrible in having intelligent discussions. So what do you feel are the most memorable PC parts? Use Paul's order and agree or post your own you feel is a better fit:
    CPU: Barton 2500+ I fully agree with, but I went with the MP version vise the XP as my first home brew dually. The XP was more than likely the best bang for the buck, but I only had experience with a dually MP so it gets my nod
  • Videocard: nVidia 6800GT. Sure the 8800GT was great, but I felt the 6800GT made more headway in the field and was still in boxes as I passed over the 8800GT's with ATI at the time before going back to them with the 250GTS' (9800GTX's by all means). Don't get me wrong, I liked the 8800GT and used one but at the time I felt ATI had better offerings for me and was short lived compared to 6800GT's and the 9800's basic core.
  • HS/F: While the CM Hyper 212 series is still an amazing unit for the price, I feel this spot is best left for Thermaltake and it's oft copied TRUE design. I don't think CM would have even made the Hyper 212 without all the TRUE designs prior...they just made it able to compete with the TRUE's at an awesome pricing point. Today I'd suggest a Hyper family, but over every other cooler ever? Nah. Hmmm...there was this awesome Alpha cooler for the P2/P3 Slot 1's that still sticks in my mind; runner up I guess.
  • Display: Enough with price tags in a Memorial Day list...it's about performance! Dell 22" CRT or NEC-Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB. Neither were low cost at all and cost more than many laptops today, but I feel they could STILL compete in accuracy with the best flatpanel available today. They were just tanks and doubling up CRT's at home basically became a negative. I lugged one and a Viewsonic 20p+ around for many moves knowing what they meant to me before sending them off to Craigslist. But for the performance? Best display ever.
  • HDD: Raptors in general; nailed it. The 36 started the movement, 74G I've had more than I have fingers and toes in one box, and the 150G simply aided the already strong love affair. It was hard for me to move off those drives to go back to little 60G SSD's that cost around $350 and I think WD had a hard time too since they kept developing them. Either way, if you had even one raptor you were getting some awesome throughput for the first time. Got us thinking about drives more and paved the way for SSD IMO.
  • Keyboard: Logitech G11. While I had a troubled early unit with many flaws, all the later units still shine on and still purchase Logitech G-series boards and still get a fairly good "click" out of them. Metadot DAS board with cherry keys was hip, but not really groundbreaking; status symbol really IMO.
  • Soundcard: Creative just doesn't cut it with the X-Fi Ti HD. Perhaps the 2nd incarnation of the Creative SB Live! Platinum sticks out more because at the time there were no others in the ball park and weren't for at least 5 years later...and you get a bay device. I loved the original SB Live! Platinum, but the daughter card was useless to me besides midi (only interesting if you utilize midi devices, where are still few).

Since the Asus Xonar came out that's all I use thus far, but never the Xonar Essence. That thing has a Medusa-head dongle and aimed directly at headphone users. I like swappable opamps myself and find any card with them can be tailored and are the best, but that's just me; not the most memorial.
  • Laptop: yup, Gateway's P-7811 FX. Again ignoring that it was great for the price, it was really good compared to even much higher priced laptops. I was buying Sagar and Thinkpads and kicked myself seeing peers with the 7811 that I switched over to the darkside
  • Case: Haha...no, no, no, not the snail! While it was thinking outside the square box, it really didn't prove anything. You could mod it, but it'd still be a snail. Innovative cases that stick out are great and all, but they seldom catch on. Even today people want these ever growing cases you could lose a family of kitties in. Going the wrong way, but big and square still work today. Of the square boxes, the CM Stacker (820?) is my favorite. I've grown up with this case it seems and have had my most awesome builds within it's shell. You could RAID5 as many raptors as you wish, not feel lost for space for Eheim AC or the "smaller" DC5 DC pump and intricate H20 loops, crossflow fan, very open ventilation; there's just nothing you couldn't do with the CM Stacker. Everything since has either experimented and not surpassed (Silverstone), or just doubled it's size for some bling affect (Corsair).
  • Motherboard: It's tough here because the DFI LAN party was pretty damned awesome, but I have to go back to the Abit BH-6/BE-6 for this spot. Just not having jumpers to tinker with are it's strongest point. You really had to think hard before moving a jumper where moving it to a BIOS just felt much more less critical. Sadly, much like DFI Abit Universal are dust in the wind.
  • DDR: Nailed it, OCZ VX and Mushkin Redline. Since OCZ moved out of memory, I'm still a huge Mushkin fan. Mushkin still has a very effective cooling design and is yet very simple. No fans, no flashing LED's, no dragon art or gimmicky names...just still performing awesomely. (While an OCZ fan, I felt horrible purchasing sticks with urban camo and chicken fence on them...I don't like that crap).
  • Speakers: Nailed it again. I still use the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras and are the best ever. They did need some smoke and solder to fix some reliability issues, but with a bit of education and $2.78 in parts you have a very awesome set of air movers. Their 2.1's I'd still purchase today, used or not, as well. Great deal for $100 even back then.
  • Power Supply: While I do love me my PCP&C 750 and 910 Silencers, I have to give the nod to the OCZ Power Stream 520. It was really a gem in the sea of bleh. It was the only well built FSP unit I know of (enough that I confused it with Seasonic), built like a tank, and had a purdy nickle chrome finish. It didn't die until just a few years ago and was me being pretty ham-fisted and her death was of my own accord. I'm sorry PS520, it was all my fault!

Sure it wasn't rated Gold or Platinum, but that shit still doesn't really matter to me. It only means it's well built when it's done by reputable companies, and that sucker could take a beating. If you really tested today's Gold PSU's, few really pass a test the PS520 could way before these ratings were even a passing thought.
  • Best acquisition: Ya, I made that up, but with that last opinion I couldn't pass it up...OCZ snorting up PCP&C and Indilinx. Rough spots with Vertex, but the ship seems very steady now (the Vertex name is coming back, so hope the hate for that name has been lost). If you're not buying a Seasonic, it's a PCP&C. If you're buying an SSD, it's an OCZ. I don't think they miss hand picking memory sticks at all.

What say you? We'll debate on lists, but keep it to a gentleman's discussion please (lady's too!). Heed the rules of the board and we'll be fine.

Post subject: Re: Remembering the best PC Hardware
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The amazing thing about the 8800GT was that it came out in such a bang that will probably never be done again. It performed as well as that generation's flagship model, it was easily less than half the price of it as well, and it was a single slot card. It's sort of upsetting that graphics cards today need two slots (at least for NVIDIA's offerings) until you get to the "why are you buying this?" tier.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:16 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I agree with that...but the 6800GT did that too. The 8800GT just one upped it in this same fashion. I have to dig in my mind a bit, but I don't know a single gamer that wasn't running a 6800GT while I saw many team mates switching to ATI, along with myself, during the 8800GT era. If it really came out in a bang, why did we all switch? 6800GT was single slot while ATI was pushing double slot because they were hot for a long time. The 8800GT just seems like the '68 corvette: You're still not a '67.

LatiosXT, bare with me here...but I think the real problem here was the "bang for the buck" being focused on far too much. Everything in One4's list was about price besides his overpriced snail case that I've already busted his balls about way back when. To be memorial on Memorial Weekend, it's not about being money or budgets IMO. This could have been a best budget buster list in June. My list is on truly memorial products that stick in my craw, budget breaking be damned.

I took it here because FB was not the place for discussion like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The problem with these "best" lists is that... best what? If we had the best hardware ever, then well... It would be a drastically different list and some of the hardware is subjective (cases, keyboards, etc.)

Also the Das Keyboard I feel is overplayed. It's only claim to fame was it shipped without labels. I'm pretty sure keyboards did this plenty of times before, because that the moment, my personal favorite (though it's losing ground to my current keyboard) is the Saitek Eclipse II.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I still have my Klipsch 5.1 Ultras and I love 'em!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I agree LatiosXT. I don't like "Best" lists very much because they're not well defined. But this is a "most memorial" list which allows freedom of interpretation. With this list anyone can look at it completely different and not be wrong at all. I sensed that Paul's view really focused on a lot of the picks breaking pricing barriers while mine were really just favorite hardware due to being used longer term than normal.

Like Spaz here, I still love my 5.1's. I didn't at first, but with just a little more work they are what they still are today. Should they be the best speakers after my experience? Not at all. No one should have to rebuild the electronics because the unit fails within a year, but once you do a little work they are indeed perfect.

Just a list of stuff we really felt were memorial. It could be flipped around based upon opinion. Example: Most memorial HDD to me could be the Seagate 250G drive that died every 3 months. Best? No...but was very memorial.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

For displays: Sony FW900.(or its cousin,the HP A7217A).

I'm lucky in that I own and still happily use 1 of these extremely rare and expensive monitors.

Mine is a 2003-vintage A7217A. Feels great to use such a unique display (namely,a wide-screen CRT monitor).

Paid $550(200+350 in shipping) for it back in May 2007 from EBay.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

@AMD64Blondie: I remember those HP monitors. They looked great. And with their resolution, I'm sure it still looks great. However, you would have to hire a forklift to move one! :wink:

@Chumly: The subwoofer / amp on my original set of Klipsch 5.1 speakers blew up one day in a cloud of smoke (seriously, there was a very loud *pop* and smoke). Even though it was out of warranty, Klipsch sent me a replacement set of 5.1 Ultras for free.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:34 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
well, I am still using my logitech Z640s, which I have had since they came out.