Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How much does colour gamut matter?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:20 pm 

I'm wanting to treat myself to a wacom cintiq soon, but the debate has come between the models with 72% colour gamut and 92%. My current monitor covers 100% and I wanted to know if that makes a difference.

I'm told it really only matters with printing but I've seen noticeable differences between my old monitor and current one with older projects, namely that they look much darker now and many look more saturated. My graphic artist friends have told me that too before but I couldn't see it.

Can anyone explain if 72% would make a major difference if I've gotten used to the 100% of a dell Ultrasharp, or would the differences be negligible?

Post subject: Re: How much does colour gamut matter?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I would read this http://www.eizo.com/global/library/basi ... lor_gamut/ and make a decision (along with other research).

But basically, a wider color gamut only gives you higher color saturation. Depending on your application, this may or may not be a good thing. But in the end, you have to properly calibrate your monitor to ensure you have the proper color accuracy.