Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Screensaver Retrospective
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:13 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Hey folks,

We share our 20 favorite screensavers: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... nsaver2013

Post subject: Re: Screensaver Retrospective
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Location: Playing Chicken with the Train at the River. Party Time!!
This thread caught my imagination.

I am curious as to what the MPC community and/or its staff recommends concerning CRT vs. LCD monitors.

When I started building computers back in 1995, I told my clients to use a ‘screen saver’ rather than ‘turning off’ their CRT monitors.

When LCD’s became the popular choice due to price decline, I continued that mantra.

Sometime around 2002 – 2003 I spent $700 (USD) on a 17” LCD monitor that served me well for 18 months and a day (warrantee was for 18 months). After that, I purchased the cheapest POS, 17” LCD monitor and it is still working after ten years.

The difference being, the original LCD, a screen saver was used. The second, I use the Windows ‘Power Off’ method.

My question is this:
(1) Am I Correct in thinking using a screen saver on a CRT will prolong its life whereas powering-off will shorten it?
(2) Will using a screen saver on an LCD shorten its life and will ‘powering it off’ prolong it?

This is a question that has concerned me for many years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Screen savers were originally made to prevent burn-in on CRTs when left alone for a while. Since LCD's don't have burn-in, there's no real reason to have a screen saver anymore other than just because.

For prolonging life, CRTs should be turned off, hence the whole thing with preventing burn-in. LCD's don't suffer this, and with an LED type, it doesn't really matter. But if you are power conscious, LCD's actually eat more power if they display a predominantly dark image.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You bring up some interesting points, Latios. I would like to investigate this subject further.

LatiosXT wrote:
For prolonging life, CRTs should be turned off, hence the whole thing with preventing burn-in.
In my experience, turning off a CRT at night and turning it on again in the morning over the course of several years increases the ‘boot’ time of the monitor. Have you not seen this anomaly? Granted, we’re talking dated technology.

LatiosXT wrote:
LCD's don't suffer this, and with an LED type, it doesn't really matter. But if you are power conscious, LCD's actually eat more power if they display a predominantly dark image.
A link to this sort of data would be nice, however, I can only speak from personal experience. Heat generated from a LCD’s backlit screen can take an exceptional toll on the LCD itself… such as… running a screen saver.

I look forward to your post decompiling this enigma. It is a question that has haunted me for years!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The lifespan of a CRT is more or less dependent on the half-brightness life of the phosphors. Sure, CRTs are dated technology, but they're analog devices and can take quite a beating (there's an Apple III monitor at work we use for random stuff).

As for an consuming more power when showing a dark scene... I just ran my Kill-A-Watt on my monitor. It's actually negligible at about 1 watt. Though a quick search on Wikipedia found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TN-L ... -208kB.png . Also the heat generated from an LCD screen is from the CCFL lamps. LEDs produce a lot less heat for the same brightness.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Thank you, Latios. Your insight has been most refreshing.

However, there is still one question I have yet to understand:
brb011 wrote:
My question is this:
(2) Will using a screen saver on an LCD shorten its life and will ‘powering it off’ prolong it?

Experience has taught me that LCD’s survive longer if ‘Powered off’. And using a screen saver can shorten its life.

Do you concur with this? Please remember, we’re talking LCD, not LED.

I appreciate your input!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Heat will lower the life span of any electronic. General rule of thumb.