Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SAS/SATA HDD formatting
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 am 

First off, if I'm in the wrong forum I apologize. Didnt see where this fit better.

Down to my issue, I have 2 3000GB SATA III drives that I finaly had a chance to install. I have Z800 HP workstation that I inherited from a coworker. He had 4 SAS drives installed and working. I replaced 2 of the SAS drives with my 2 3000GB SATA drives and did not realize that the motherboard has separate ports for SAS or SATA. So while in the OS I noticed that my 2 3000GB drives where only displaying 2000GB. I ignored this thinking it was some kind of ripoff from the drive manufacturer. Formatted the 2 SATA drives (currently plugged in to SAS) and went into the BIOS to set them as RAID mirroring. (at this point is when I realized my mistake with the ports) I end up moving the connectors to the SATA ports and get into the Intel RAID utility. Now the drives only show up as being 700GB in size. Move them back to SAS and they appear as 2000GB. Did I somehow screw the drives up and can no longer access their full size? I'm assuming the 2000GB in SAS mode plus the 700GB in SATA is the true total size of what I should be able to access on these drives. If it matters, these are Seagate ST3000DM001 model drives.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Post subject: Re: SAS/SATA HDD formatting
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:23 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Go back into the bios and break the raid array using the raid bios setup feature.

Go to the seagate website and get the utility they have posted to format their drives. Download it, install it and point to the drives you want to format, delete the partition on both drives and opt out of the software, do not format now.

Disk Wizard is what you want In the Utilities section:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

Now move them to the real Raid controller and setup your raid array and format it.

Nasty