Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question about SSD's
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm 

It seems as though whenever I see reviews for SSD's or custom builds, whether it be in Maximum PC or elsewhere, they seem to always use 256GB SSD's. Maybe this is a silly question, but is there something that makes these ones better than say, a 512 GB? These are available, roughly the same price per GB, so It seems to me as though more would be better, but no one seems to go that route. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Yetizod

Post subject: Re: Question about SSD's
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

It's all about hitting the ideal price point for the fastest performance. It's not so much $/gb but rather total outlay or acquisition cost. Why spend the extra $200 for 256gb more when you can buy nearly 6TB of mechanical storage instead, right? Six months ago, 128gb was the sweet spot. Nowaday's it's 256. 512 may be the ideal size in 12-16 months, if the high performing ones (Vector, 840 Pro, M5Pro) can come in safely under $300 as we can get 1TB options at today's 512 prices. All in, SSD's are not for all your data just the OS, apps and data that you need quick, like a second ago. An OS, all your apps and a handful of games won't even yet fill 256. If you're smart about it, maybe you'll eclipse 100GB of all your mission critical bytes. Just understand that SSD's are not a storage device per se, they are a performance device. But hey, if you've got the coin for 512, then go for two in Raid0 and never look back. Live and compute in gluttony.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Agreed Kleink. There's a pricing sweet spot for an SSD for what you intend to do with it. If you want one drive to rule them all, then you're paying a buttload of money for a huge SSD. But most of those files don't need SSD speeds and are better off just sitting on a separate and much cheaper very large spindle.

When we look at what we store on drives, the things that suck up the most space simply don't need any speed at all. No video, music, movie .ISO, or document could care less about being on an SSD or not; and those are the things that suck up the most space. They can sit stagnant on a spindle drive their entire life and be utilized just as peppy on a fat spindle.

250G vs 120G SSD's gets technical, but the 250G is the faster version due to how they work. 250G vs anything larger has minimal gains...and I rule them moot so far. I'd just rather have a 250G SSD as root and a 2 or 3TB spindle in the same box. If you go that route and move all "My Document" items to the spindle, you'll see that you won't even break 60G of capacity used on the %root% and all that fluffy stuff that actually takes up space is on the spindle.

I just don't need break neck speed or huge I/O when it comes to playing back videos or movies. No one really does. So if you had a 512G drive, how much of that would be files you'd actually need on that SSD to begin with? Wouldn't it be much cheaper to have a smaller SSD as %root% and a huge spindle? I think so...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The funny thing about media is that it was designed to suck up as little data as possible while maintaining the best quality as possible. These were files meant for network transfer. So these files can be on a dinky SD card for all we care and still work just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Point being? That 4.6G DVD I ripped should be on a thumb drive or an SSD?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I was trying to further your point. And yes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:51 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Sorry, I can't type that still today without sounding snarky. I never did well in English class but still feel compelled to include the question mark even though it's not a complete sentence.

"Point being..." comes off smoother and not so pointed, still incorrect AFAIK, and will try to use the hated dots more instead of weak attempts at punctuation. Hey, I'm ignorant, English has always been a bane of my schooling (damn you 3.4, you're not helping English!), and type the way I would talk.

Point being...try to see through my redneck inglush and see the bright side before what the text may actually state as appearing assholish. <-that's now a word IMO!