Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RAMDisks: How to Maximizing your High-Capacity RAM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Larger RAM capacities have always been a point of contention amongst discussions within enthusiasts users and on forums alike. 64-bit operating systems and programs are now allowing us to break past the previous barrier of 4GB system memory. With this barrier now vaulted many users struggle to find what memory size is best for what they do. So if you call yourself a performance user, here is how to maximize all that DDR3 overhead.

And before all the naysayers start crawling out of their holes, stop and think -for just a minute- because sometimes you (yes you) need to look past everyday usage to realize the real potential of components and to understand that such things as very high amount of memory while on the surface seems like a waste may just be a lack of understanding of what can really be done with such components with just an ounce of creative thinking, the willing to consider something new, and ability to figure it out.

Post subject: Re: RAMDisks: How to Maximizing your High-Capacity RAM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:23 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

And I'll be that naysayer, because of one thing: theoretical vs. real-world. You can show me all the bandwidth you want from a benchmark and say it's the greatest thing ever. You may as well tell me I can stop on CPU benchmarks after PCMark and SySandra was run on them or GPU benchmarks after running 3DMark and Heaven.

Load up a variety of things. Copy files over. Do a proper benchmark and see where the real flaws of this lie. I'll direct you to this person's post: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2161009 who at least did some testing with real-world programs (albeit games).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I just knew you'd pin your ears back. It's about the future, harnessing the possibilities and finding the answers to 'what if'!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

AMD said more cores would be the future. Look where that's gotten them, at the moment.

At the risk of starting another firestorm, you're avoiding the real questions that should be answered. And namely, what's the performance benefit in the real world? And not taking the theoretical and saying "your applications will load faster!". I already know that. But by how much?

Stop giving me the theoretical. Give me the practical. You want an example: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/28 is a great example.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:34 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Ohhh you want practicality. I'll give your my top 7 use cases...

1. Encodes and decodes execute 5-8x faster.
2. VM's running completely in and from the RD smokes running a VM even from a ssd. Try it, it'll blow you away.
3. Using Readyboost I can load the program(s) into ram before I need it. Productivity is instantaneous.
4. Moving the page and swapfile to the RD,
5. Great as the browser cache folder. Less strain on your ssd, and every time you restart your machine, the cache clears automatically.
6. Setting up a Scratch disk within Photoshop or other Adobe programs. This is basically a working area where Adobe can place data while working on a picture or video project. Having this data available at a read speed of over 8GB/s. An instant on solution and there is almost no delay at all when pulling this swap data.
7. By setting up an RD side by side with the system memory, for video rendering and mirroring the configuration. Having the RD load directly to memory is effectively a copy function, which is extraordinarily fast compared to even my Raid0 ssd array. Loading files 800% faster is the difference between completing a job and waiting on a render. That's power. That's Maximum PC.

Thinking differently takes you to new places.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:28 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No, not uses. Benchmarks.

I want to really know how well your RAM disks work against SSDs when they're given a real job to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:38 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Easy enough. And what an ideal MPC article that would be, memo to self, ping Josh.