Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NAS with full multi-media accsess
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

I posted this in help me build too.

The fact that my family is is getting more digital we have more computers with info on all of them. I was thinking of adding a NAS to back up all of are systems and info. And do other functions as well.

With that in mind I would like to have a NAS that does it all, if that is what it can do.

First off I want to be able to have a image of every computer that can be restored if there is a hardware change or something dies. This would be with win XP up to win 8. Can all the images of the computer be stored on a NAS that can be restored?

I would like it to be able to also back up all documents, pics, videos, basically anything added to any of the computers on a schedule (not programs). Some computers may not always be connected but want the documents, pics ETC to be backed up when they reconnect.

I would also like the NAS to store all video (movies and Pics) that can be shared, video streaming, music streaming, from one central computer the NAS even over the internet. To any other computer on the network or that is connected to internet.

One last question. Is there some type of hardware out that can let me access media that can let me see pics, movies etc from a NAS. To a TV, that has no computer attached. Maybe a roku with "play on" or other device.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: NAS with full multi-media accsess
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:48 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Double posting is not cool. But this place is so vacant, nobody really cares anymore. LXT set you in motion on the other post. I have the QNAP TS-569 Pro stuffed with 15TB of Red and luv it. But why not just grab this 4-bay CineRaid for $200 with a 2TB Green and then you're only 3 hdd's or 6TB away from what you're after. BTW, what wireless router do you have? It makes all the difference.

And for the record, I wouldn't meddle with 2TB spinners, just jump into 3TB drives now and gain 33% more space for a small up charge. In six months, the $250 4TB drives will be at 3TB prices and the norm for mass storage and nas solutions. Like buying a house, spend 2.5 to 3x more than your income (or in this case your intent)...make the real estate investment once. You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:36 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

kleinkinstein wrote:
Double posting is not cool. But this place is so vacant, nobody really cares anymore. LXT set you in motion on the other post. I have the QNAP TS-569 Pro stuffed with 15TB of Red and luv it. But why not just grab this 4-bay CineRaid for $200 with a 2TB Green and then you're only 3 hdd's or 6TB away from what you're after. BTW, what wireless router do you have? It makes all the difference.

And for the record, I wouldn't meddle with 2TB spinners, just jump into 3TB drives now and gain 33% more space for a small up charge. In six months, the $250 4TB drives will be at 3TB prices and the norm for mass storage and nas solutions. Like buying a house, spend 2.5 to 3x more than your income (or in this case your intent)...make the real estate investment once. You won't regret it.

Thanks kleinkinstein I wasn't trying to be cool we all know that's your job.

Your info is helpful even know your opening remarks are not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:08 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The truth hurts, eh! But you'll shake it off, you're an adult. If you want multiple responses, the double post ain't the way, and this just ain't the place. Go post on Anand, Tom's, [H] and even PCPer for results.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

kleinkinstein wrote:
The truth hurts, eh! But you'll shake it off, you're an adult. If you want multiple responses, the double post ain't the way, and this just ain't the place. Go post on Anand, Tom's, [H] and even PCPer for results.

LOL if I will run into ego maniacs like you..Thanks anyway I can figure it out on my own.

Not sure why a person with your IQ hangs around here? Wait I know.

Thanks again for the info...you have shown me some great deals and show a lot of smarts. No doubt about that. I'm still not sure why you are such a ASS?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

EasyE wrote:
you are such a ASS?

Good grief, so very mature of you! Accept the fact that you double posted, I called you on it (kindly mind you) and you just won't step up to your gaffe. I retract my adult assumption. See how easy it is to make and accept a mistake. Please don't come back until you grow up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

kleinkinstein wrote:
EasyE wrote:
you are such a ASS?

Good grief, so very mature of you! Accept the fact that you double posted, I called you on it (kindly mind you) and you just won't step up to your gaffe. I retract my adult assumption. See how easy it is to make and accept a mistake. Please don't come back until you grow up.

Thanks sweetie I doubt you would have, if I did not tell you I did it myself. Keep patting yourself on the back.