Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hardware longevity
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

So... you tried to mount the fans instead of getting a slot cooler like the one I linked? Okay, whatever.

And you probably should get rid of the evil monkey off your shoulder too, because out of all the graphics cards I've had, ranging from shitty to top tier, I've only had one fan failure after a year or so of use. And I skirted by with the same solution I'm proposing now.

Post subject: Re: Hardware longevity
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:13 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

So on top of a pretty high dollar video card I should just expect to buy more stuff when that card's cheap parts just stop working? That's the point of this entire thread: We should not be having to fix generic failures on our own, that's what makes good parts good: quality of parts. That's like saying "so-and-so monitors are great. You'll be spending $10 in a year and recapping the power supply, but that's expected". No, no it's not. I wouldn't buy a Corvette if there's a known problem of the water pump just to randomly shit the bed and leave you on the side of the road either.

There's no evil monkey on my shoulder either. Like I've said, I have many old cards that still run just fine. Is it just coincidence that the last 3 video cards I've purchased in the last year all have failed fans? Irony? I don't know what to call it other than a disturbing trend. They fail, I shove an old 250 or 260 in there to limp on while it's out for RMA and life goes on. I've got stacks of antiquated cards and they all seem to be tough as nails; Not these late model units.

I'm just being told today that my RMA for the 560Ti was approved and awaiting on the UPS tracking label to hit my inbox. I don't think the world ends when fans fail, but it's just not a good sign of quality out the doors of these big name brands. It's not a HUGE deal, but is still frustrating and I'm not spending more money to fix their stuff. Coming from a validation background, I just have an opinion that faulty / fallout parts should not be shipped and are better off in the garbage. Wish I was allowed a camera back then to show all the awesome stuff I just threw in the 55 gallon drums. RMA's on fan failures should be hitting the pencil pushers, so that's another reason I don't feel it's something to fix myself as they should become aware of this

It's not a rare incidence
https://www.google.com/search?q=GTX560T ... =firefox-a