Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Logitech Z523 Speaker System, Just noise no Sound
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:22 am 

I was given a new Logitech Z523 Speaker System as gift from my family. Well this Logitech Z523 Speaker System after assembling the parts, turned them on, only to find that all i got was a very loud noise feed back coming from the Sub Woofer. I tried moving the speakers as far apart as possible, didn't work. I tried plugging the power cord into another outlet, same result no sound just feed back. I contacted Logitech for help, advice was move speakers as far apart as possible. I also installed a new Sound Blaster Audigy sound card and disabled on board sound in the BIOS, same result no sound just noise from sub woofer. Any and all advice is welcome . Shawn Harris

Post subject: Re: Logitech Z523 Speaker System, Just noise no Sound
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm going to ask a stupid question, because I don't see it mentioned anywhere: was the audio input plugged into anything? And have you tried other devices?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:18 pm 

Yes the speakers were and still are plugged into the sound card on my computer. I also tried using the speakers on another computer that has a working sound system, Altec Lansing speakers. The Z523 didn't work on the other computer either. I also tried headphones, same results no sound just noise and feed back at the sub woofer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm 

After contacting Logitech, i was able to get them to send me a replacement speaker system. The problem is now solved, the fault was in the sub woofer. That is where the circuit board is. After opening the old sub woofer, i found out that a capacitor had been damaged (leaked all over the circuit board) right from the factory. The new speaker system Z523 works great and the sound is excellent. Logitech needs to work on their quality control.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:17 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Garsh, that's what I was going to point you too. This is a very common problem that many of us are well aware of for decades now: Sound engineers aren't really good at electronics. However, don't feel really confident in the return product acting any different unless there's a revision change. That capacitor that leaked and is obvious is probably the exact same cap in your replacement and is just waiting to do it all over again.

You can probably dig around here, but it'd be a hard search with all the randomness over the years (Google is better here). I swear the best 4.1 and 5.1 are still Klipsch, but both need simple modifications in their circuits to last very long. 4.1's needed a drop resistor and the 5.1 Ultra's need pretty much re-routing on the board to not only last longer but sound so much better. No one likes to spend $150-$500 on sound systems and find they need to spend more money, but that's life in kicking parts out really. If you're aiming at functionality, you'll more than likely luck out on that Logitech set for 3 years...max. Remember, warranties last how long?

If you're a sound freak, I'd suggest drifting outside of PC-minded forums and find freaks like me telling you how to tweak audio hardware. If you're not a sound freak then dive under Z-based Logitechs and save some money. If you don't have a swappable IC on the front channel of your soundcard, then just pay $50 for your speakers and be happy. I'm not undermining you, but rather having you aim better at what's going on here. A Z series logitech may be high rated somewhere, but you have the ears you were born with. Just like upgrading to the uber mouse suggested by some pro-gamer won't necessarily improve your game.

They all have QC and shit passes too easily across the board. I'm just asking if you need this level of audio in order to even complain beyond "it's broke". I digress...