Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Installed new video card, now having sleep mode trouble.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:32 pm 

Windows 7
ASUS P8Z68-V LE mobo
Intel i5 2500k
Anec Basiq 500w psu
MSI gtx 660TI OC/PE - w/latest drivers from nvidia

Everything was working okay on my system until Installed the video card two days ago. Everything appeared okay until my system went to sleep and I couldn't wake it up. My PC was running and the card fans were blazing but my screen stayed blank. My mouse and keyboard were non-responsive and I couldn't wake the pc. Had to force a reboot.

SO, I did some reading and someone suggested I go into my BIOS (Hasn't been updated. To be honest I'm still learning and don't know how to properly update it) and change the Intrernal PLL Overvoltage option to disabled.

After trying that, the PC goes into sleep mode fine but instantly boots back up. I don't know what's making it wake up automatically and the only thing that has changed is the video card installation.

From what I've read it could be a million things and this could just be a crapshoot but if anyone has a few suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, I posted in Vid Valley cause of the issue occurring after my new card install. If this thread needs to be moved elsewhere please let me know.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Installed new video card, now having sleep mode trouble.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you uninstall the old video drivers?

How did you do it?

Did you delete the old video card folder and empty the recycle bin when you finished uninstalling the driver?

Did you install and run Ccleaners registry section of the software to clean out what the uninstaller missed in the registry?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

All the above should have been done before you rebooted to install the new driver.

Sometimes updating a bios will fix problems like this, but don't do it unless you have someone with you that knows how to do it. You can brick the motherboard and have to send for a new bios chip if things go wrong. The newer motherboards have procedures now where you can recover from a bad flash without sending the chip in to be flashed by the manufacture.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:52 pm 

Thanks for the good info about the driver un-installation. Unfortunately I didn't do that when I replaced the nvidia driver with the msi video driver. I will delete the old driver info and run ccleaner anyways.

Fortunately I did more reading and learned that my issue was possibly my Ethernet waking up the PC. I recently taken out the wireless card and changed to Ethernet but that didn't cross my mind when it came to this issue. I changed the Ethernet setting so it wouldn't wake up the PC and all is well. So far everything seems okay and I'm loving this video card!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:32 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Good to hear you have everything squared away!

Enjoy,

Nasty