Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Could It Be My Vid Card?????
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:22 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Been rocking steady for 3 years with the exact same setup. 1 60gig SSD for my OS and 4 regular slave hard drives. My pc setup has allowed me to watch HDTV on my 42", high speed internet on my 26" HD monitor while downloading large files.

We all know 3 years might as well be 30 years in this gig. 2 weeks ago my SSD crapped out on me and replace it last night. Finally got all of the settings back to where they were and my SSD is one of the top, OCZ Vertex 3.

I've been having crashes but only during video rendering....watching The Mentalist and 15-20 minutes into it.....CRASH. Restarts fine. Does anyone know of any way to verify my vid card??? Specs below (remember they are from 3 years ago).

Win 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom IV 3.2 running at 3.6
Radeon 4890 HD w/1gig RAM
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe MOBO (never updated flash)
Antec 750watt PSU
Corsair 8gig RAM
3 WD 1TB HD's, 1 Hitoshi external 1TB HD USB

Last edited by robertco300 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Could It Be My Vid Card?????
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:30 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I was thinking if my SSD can degrade and crash, the rest of the system is subject to degradation too. Gotta remember, my pc renders tons of HD media every week for years. Who's to say something simple as the SATA connectors are frail or crapping out??? Lotta info over a long period of time going back and forth thru those cables.

I ordered 4 brand new SATA III cables with one end having a 90 degree angle plug on each.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:13 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

... You're kidding right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT wrote:
... You're kidding right?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

HD4290...that is onboard video.

An interesting setup for an HTPC. Certainly overkill.

I have lived long enough to read OCZ Vertex 3 and top used in the same sentence. It is end of days.

Last edited by FascistNation on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

When I put my new SSD SATA III in, I was getting an ATAHI incompatible error on bootup, had to hit F1 to continue. I unplugged the SATA II cable that went to my DVD player that NEVER got used and plugged it into my new SSD. Guess what??? No more error and now my new SSD boots up perfectly.

My pc has been running HDTV at least 40 hours a week for 3 years not including high speed internet, HD on the internet and downloading large files so do I think there MIGHT be some degradation on the generic, came-with-the-device SATA II cables trying to hang with a SATA III drive????? Yeah, I think it's a possibility.

I'll be swapping out the cables in a week along with cleaning up the MOBO and all the connections. If I run with no sudden shutdowns believe me, you'll be the first person to know about it.

I meant to post 4890, sorry about that. Maybe you should have asked first since it's clear there is A video card on my pc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:26 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Did you mean HD4890? Because HD4290 was built into the 890GX chipset.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:36 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I mean, I guess cables could degrade, but not from "excessive data". It's just copper wires. The traces on your motherboard between the RAM and CPU are smaller than the wires in the SATA cable, and they service orders of magnitude more data. So how come they don't go bad after about a year? Copper is copper. And this is digital information. There's no signal degradation here. It's either a 1 or a 0.

I'm going to have a drink now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:43 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I think it's like nanotechnology. We are going to find out later on in life that 1's and 0's CAN degrade and there is a difference.....we just can't see it, yet.

Besides the physical change out from old, used SATA cable to a relatively new one, I also lowered my OC from 3.6 to 3.3 and guess what? Still going strong. That's why I can't wait to get my Bulldozer chip which is already running at 3.6 so I won't even need to overclock it and it will have 8 cores. October will be it's virgin so I'll wait until the 2nd or 3rd upgrade before I land one.

I also upgraded my BIOS which also may have something to do with my success. Went from version 2101 in 2009 to 4101 from 2011. Lots of upgrades in between the two and my vid card drivers are from two months ago. Thanks for your help and hope I don't have to come back here but who knows???????

I'm going to have an OC now. (and I'm not talking about overclocking)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:05 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

*sigh*

Your logic hurts my head. I'm going to cry now.