Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Makin it play thru my new tv
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

Hiya Forum types. I got this cool Toshiba LED/LCD tv a while back and finally plugged in an ethernet cable to it. I now find in addition to getting Netflix directly, I can see all my other computers (which are all running Win7x64) on my home network. But, I can only access those public folders such as 'my videos' 'my photos', etc. that are located on the 'C' drives of these machines - which happen to be 128Gb SSDs. I got hundreds of Gigs of videos on my storage drives - which are big terrabyte+ platter drives. I could never copy all that stuff to the 'my videos' folder on my machine's tiny SSD boot drives. How do I put a link into the 'my videos' folder that points to the massive video folder on my gigantic 'D' drive? Thanks in advance, Jim.

Post subject: Re: Makin it play thru my new tv
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:40 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

It sounds like you're needing a DLNA server software like Twonky or TVersity.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Have you tried adding your video folders to Windows 7's video library?

It doesn't copy the files there just links to them. That might make them show up on your TV.

To do so just right click on the directories that contain your videos and select "Add to Library" > Videos.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:06 am 

Yeah I figured it out. Just like you said Satchboy. I have three desktop machines on my network and I don't use MS's homegroup stuff so I had never linked my image and video files to the folders associated with the homegroup stuff. Actually while sitting on the 'throne' the other day, leafing thru a February 2012 issue of Max PC I found the very same topic discussed with pictures!!! So now I can park in front of my Toshiba TV and when I get tired of Netflix I can push few buttons on the remote and look at HD videos I've recorded or my still pics. True couch potato stuff... I bet the cable company loves folks like me... paying for basic cable (no box) get all the local channels + junk cable channels in QAM HD for $20 a month and $8 a month for Netflix in HD. So for less than $30 a month I get the equiv of a much more expensive package. Can't wait for FIOS... Oh, and don't forget that refurbished $50 BluRay player from Newegg... Thanks, Jim