Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I transfer data from my Desktop HDD to a Laptop HDD ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:53 pm 

Hi,

I am buying a Laptop & want to transfer data from my Sata 500 GB ( 7200 RPM )Desktop HDD to a Laptop 500 GB HDD.

I am using Win-7.

(1) How do I transfer data from desktop HDD to Laptop HDD ?

(2) Can I put a Laptop HDD in the desktop PC & clone the Laptop HDD from Desktop HDD ? Meaning does a Laptop HDD has the same kind of interface ( data & power ) as a desktop drive & can thus be used in a Desktop ? I have the Acronis cloning software. If this can be done then it would be the simplest solution.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: How do I transfer data from my Desktop HDD to a Laptop H
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:10 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Get a RJ45 "patch" type network cable and transfer the files via the network you set up between the two computers. The cord should cost about 15 bucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:44 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

CNT-C, CNT-V...copy and paste. There's no iAp needed for the obvious. Just /move it on over.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You don't want to clone the system drive, Windows will go batshit over wrong drivers.

All you really need to copy after you've installed everything you want is the Users folder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:18 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
(1) How do I transfer data from desktop HDD to Laptop HDD ?

This infers that both machines run, he just wants to transfer files between the two guys....hence the patch cord and network setup I mentioned above.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

There is one other way and that is buy a usb enclosure and stick your desktop drive in it, plug it into the laptop and transfer the files you want by drag and drop or copy paste.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... es&x=0&y=0

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:26 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Agreed, Cat 5e or 6 cable. Crossfire cable not really needed anymore with auto-detection but since we know nothing about the older desktop play it safe. Costs a heck of a lot lot less than $15. Note: 3 ft. long...if you desire a longer cable, it costs relatively little more for more length.

You have to set the network up to share files on both PCs. Pretty simple and free. If both systems are running Win7 Home or higher use HomeGroups on both machines. Then as they say use Windows Explorer to highlight and drag and drop over.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/features/homegroup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:08 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

No FascistNation,

He needs a CROSSOVER cable to transfer between two pcs. Just plain Cat 5 won't work. A crossover cable is specially wired so the two pcs can talk to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Or just get an adapter like http://www.amazon.com/Smartronix-ST034L ... B000ASGFV0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That's what I have, just the adapter which allows me to grab any 'ol cable from anywhere. Get yourself a pack, color code your transfers, never be without, give them aways to close friends, favor them at your next party, mix and match to your mood, color coordinate your wardrobe for some real razzle dazzle.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:45 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Nastyman wrote:
No FascistNation,

He needs a CROSSOVER cable to transfer between two pcs. Just plain Cat 5 won't work. A crossover cable is specially wired so the two pcs can talk to each other....

And as I said....
"Before buying a crossover cable, check your network adapter. Some newer network adapters automatically "cross over" when they detect that they are connected directly to another network adapter using a regular Ethernet cable."

And I linked to a $1.11 Cat6 xover patch cable to boot.

If you already have a Ethernet cable laying around dan99t (probably came with the laptop), plug it in and give it a shot---the worse thing it can do is not work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I assumed most are using a current router and crossover is inclusive within the router and not in the wire itself. Any broadcom or Intel NIC on the board will crossover for you; and a router will do this too from WRT's and after. I'm also assuming that a router is even involved. If not, then there's a physical movement of the drive to a working PC that might involve and adapter...but be warned: Moving files isn't always simple.

If they're encrypted the ownership doesn't move with them and why cut and paste on ganged machines was my first answer. If you move a stagnant (old) drive to a new machine you may find each and every document file being "owned" by another account even if it's of the same name and credentials in the new OS. If we're just talking about moving files between two working machines, it's very simple. If it's just the HDD to work with, then it gets complicated and why we're all at our differences of handling this issue. We're assuming a lot.

I'm reading what was written. Gang/Network them and cut and paste...but perhaps "data" is also being overly simplified and not know exactly what is going on and your situation can lead to 50 different debates. That's why it's best to talk about issues in the Clinic which is dedicated to another level of knowing you're already in trouble and not looking for network advice or just wiping it for the ultra new cool piece of hardware that just came out and has no relevance to the issue.

FAQ's should be read. Always. It's an internet rule. It helps you a lot.