Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ivy Bridge EP and EX are officially announced
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:18 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I've been waiting for this. And it's budget season, what impeccable timing.

Post subject: Re: Ivy Bridge EP and EX are officially announced
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You're buying a server/workstation proc?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Oodles of them for the biz to get real work done! Gaming only happens at recess, on Happy Hour and after hours when I'm in a dry spell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
your still going to wait, they wont be out till next year sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LatiosXT wrote:
And besides work, many look to these for their own desktops for a few bucks more than their equivalent desktop counterparts. I've ran Xeons in my own builds up until Sandybridge, and I'd probably have a Sandy Xeon if I wasn't tinkering with iTX so heavily in that period. I just know they're solid and will take some errant punches I toss at them in order to be forgiven more easily.

While most Xeons are aimed directly at servers with those server perks, some are tossed down to us consumers that work fine in desktops. The validation for Xeons are even more brutal than common CPU's and you're paying just a tad more in order to have that validation and server stuff that didn't pass the test (and don't need) stunted. And it's not that much more money in the end. $30? I'll pay it.

And with every CPU, there's diamonds in the rough. Highest stable OC's I've personally had have been w/ Xeons. I can be more hamfisted with them and not adjust 50 different things in the BIOS and be delicate about it as I would usually do with common CPU's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What's the system cost difference between if you were to get as close as possible with specs? I would think Servers/Workstations are more expensive considering their target market.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:05 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:

I'm running a server processor in my gaming rig (Opteron 3280), but only because I'm to lazy to swap the X6-1055t back into the rig. And since the Opteron handles gaming nearly as well as the 1055t, I don't see a need to swap back. Of course I'm planning on selling both CPU's soon & upgrading to an i7-3930K / LGA-2011 system for the improved 1080p video editing / Blu-Ray encoding.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

chaosdsm wrote:
...I'm planning on selling both CPU's soon & upgrading to an i7-3930K / LGA-2011 system for the improved 1080p video editing / Blu-Ray encoding.

I know it's tempting and we're many months out but do you have the patience to wait for Ivy-E and X79A with the possibilities of real usb3, sata6, pcie3 and T'bolt? X79 just doesn't offer anything and six- maybe even eight-cores will spank SB-E in IPC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

kleinkinstein wrote:
chaosdsm wrote:
...I'm planning on selling both CPU's soon & upgrading to an i7-3930K / LGA-2011 system for the improved 1080p video editing / Blu-Ray encoding.

I know it's tempting and we're many months out but do you have the patience to wait for Ivy-E and X79A with the possibilities of real usb3, sata6, pcie3 and T'bolt? X79 just doesn't offer anything and six- maybe even eight-cores will spank SB-E in IPC.

Ivy Bridge E is a full year away, so no I'm not going to wait that long, I'll be swapping right around Xmas :D Besides, X79 already has PCI Express 3.0... native USB 3.0 is not an issue for me... and the X79 board I'm looking at has 8 SATA 6 ports, 2 on the X79 chipset which would support my two Vertex 4 SSD's in RAID-0 quite nicely, plus 2 on the improved Marvel 9220 controller (for additional SSD's when prices drop some more), & 4 more on the older Marvel 9172 controller for SATA III HDD's.

I'm not even going to consider Thunderbolt till my next full ground-up build in 5 - 7 years.

Finally, the 3930K is so much faster than my 1055t, even with the 1055t overclocked to 3.5GHz the 3930K runs folding @ home at up to 5x the ppd output on standard SMP WU's, and encodes video up to 2x faster before any overclocking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That's a mighty fine board, it and the X79 Deluxe (often $309) are probably my favorite all-rounders.