Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intel Octo Cores?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I couldn't find any reliable information on when Intel will release a "gamer" octo core CPU.

Anybody hear any rumours or actual links to press releases?

Post subject: Re: Intel Octo Cores?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You mean an "enthusiast" 8-core processor like a Core i7 Extreme? Well, you can get an 8-Core proc right now. Nevermind it's a server class CPU, they work the same.

But for gaming... aha. No. Most games don't use more than 2 cores effectively.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yeah I saw those server CPUs but those are obviously too expensive.

By "gamer" I meant for home use but with above average performance.

For me I do video editing besides playing games so I will be using all cores available to me during rendering.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Anything beyond a basic Core i5 would fit the "above average performance for home use". Just get a Core i7-3770K or something. Or an AMD FX-8150.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:43 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Satchboy wrote:
I couldn't find any reliable information on when Intel will release a "gamer" octo core CPU.

Anybody hear any rumours or actual links to press releases?

Nothing till at least the 2nd half of 2013, if then.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:01 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
Anything beyond a basic Core i5 would fit the "above average performance for home use". Just get a Core i7-3770K or something. Or an AMD FX-8150.

FX is a horrible way to go with more than 2x the power usage of any single Intel CPU.

Z77 plus i7-3770K is a good choice that gives 8 threads for video editing, and a potential upgrade path to Haswell, though not sure if a BIOS upgrade will be enough to move up to Haswell or not... I've heard yes, & I've heard no, but more on the no side because it's a new architecture & includes new features that current LGA-1155 boards don't support.

Personally I'm going with the X79 plus i7-3930K for 12 threads of editing/encoding goodness, and an upgrade path to Ivy Bridge-E which most are saying WILL be available on current boards through BIOS upgrade. Ivy Bridge-E (Sept/Oct 2013)will possibly be the first Intel Desktop CPU with 8 cores/16 threads, but may not perform as well as Haswell on a clock to clock basis.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

chaosdsm wrote:
FX is a horrible way to go with more than 2x the power usage of any single Intel CPU.

AMD after the Core 2 release has always been bad with power/performance. But their price/performance has been good (up until recently).

I don't know, when a $190 part can match a $300 part in properly threaded tasks, you have to ask yourself if that's worth more than the increased power usage. But I guess 70W more on full load is pretty bad no matter how you look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I was tempted with the 8150 since it was inexpensive but if Intel had an octo core coming out soon then I would get that instead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:05 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

chaosdsm wrote:
...I've heard yes, & I've heard no, but more on the no side because it's a new architecture & includes new features that current LGA-1155 boards don't support...Ivy Bridge-E (Sept/Oct 2013)will possibly be the first Intel Desktop CPU with 8 cores/16 threads, but may not perform as well as Haswell on a clock to clock basis.

True dat. FWIW, Haswell is pegged as socket 1150. So 1155 is a dead end, right now. Our only hope is Ivy-E for an octocore. Odds are good, but it'll be spendy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:21 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

kleinkinstein wrote:
chaosdsm wrote:
...I've heard yes, & I've heard no, but more on the no side because it's a new architecture & includes new features that current LGA-1155 boards don't support...Ivy Bridge-E (Sept/Oct 2013)will possibly be the first Intel Desktop CPU with 8 cores/16 threads, but may not perform as well as Haswell on a clock to clock basis.

True dat. FWIW, Haswell is pegged as socket 1150. So 1155 is a dead end, right now. Our only hope is Ivy-E for an octocore. Odds are good, but it'll be spendy.

Damn... I could have sworn I read where Haswell would be on 1155. Oh well, new architecture, new socket... should have figured as much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I held a sealed envelope to my head and went on a speculative rant last month about something like this, but don't expect octo-cores anytime soon. I still chum it up randomly and talk tech and how things are going with people that see hardware today that won't hit for about a year, and nothing close to Octo w/ HT for the desktop is in the pipeline from what I can get. I get a feeling that physical core count and a chop down on HT's grab of threads for the server market is wanting to be increased but can't see that hitting us (it's very fractional in those campuses). The desktop side CPU folk are almost silent and could trust Wikipedia for news vise insider news :(

Intel is doing well with lower physical core counts and continuing the HT thrust to manage threaded apps when it comes to desktop CPU's. Honestly, the only thing that I can see pushing for such a thing as an Octal from Intel is Apple wanting a current Power PC type machine as companies that use to souly rely on Mac migrate out and adopt the common Windows PC. As for the consumer, I hope I'm included in the upper end of buyers and I'm not buying up i7/i5's like it use to be in the good old days. I'm finding a lot of power in such things as i3 3225's in iTX boxes for just about any usage I can find. We also had a fruitful year for graphics cards and most gamers found extended life in their boxes in just that single part and is much more cost effective than buying a CPU. SLI a pair of 670's in your current board, or get an eXtreme i7...I just feel that's what most gamers face and not many choose the later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 pm 

IB-E has always been speculated to contain about 8 cores since the SB-E was first dropping. Now it looks like IB-E could have a core count of 10 IF the shipping Xeon contains 12 and Intel continues their tradition of cutting 2 cores out of the i7 package. I also do some light video editing liek a guy above(that shit will devour your CPU regardless of what you throw at it) but as far as professional stuff its mostly photo editing, i also CAD cut vinyl and a few other things with my comp. Right now im still using a OLD E6600 and its killing me :( :( :( I want my to next computer i buy to be as much of an overkill as it possibly can be. I cant even imagine how much more comfortable my workflow will be with all the GD programs i have to use with a 10 core proc that can HOPEFULLY handle a healthy dose of OCing.

And yes i game on my computer as well and yes i will find a good reason for all 10 cores so dont tell me you dont need it. If i can tab out of BF3 or what ever other game into an environment where ALL of my production apps are already aroused without any kind of lag, work for a while, then just jump back into a game without closing anything or worrying about resources i would be happy. I want to be able to run a deep virus scan on all my drives, a windows update, a system restore point, play my games and have my programs all opened at the same time >XD

And no im not 12 years old -_- I just feel like writing like one because hardware makes me giddy

ALL YOUR CORES ARE BELONG TO US
~Premier Pro

http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusive-u ... 17314.html