Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SATA 6 or 3? (Old HD).
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 pm 

Hi. New mobo. Old IDE (ATA) 200G to be the data drive, prob. 5400rpm (let's assume that). Any benefit to plugging that old drive to the 1 remaining SATA 6 port? I also have 4 available SATA 3. Yes, I have the appropriate adaptors. And I will know how to set the drive jumper. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: SATA 6 or 3? (Old HD).
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hard drives are slow, so put it in the slowest performing SATA port.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would forget that drive as it is to old and will quit in a while. Here is one from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136696

It is 3.0 and inexpensive and is a rebuilt drive, if you want new you will have to pay a bigger price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136771

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:36 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Or for $10 more, a skipped lunch this week, quadruple your space and double your cache with this brand new and shiny Barracuda.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 am 

Thanks guys, for all the answers. Will hook up to SATA3 per Latios. Keeping the slow drive, no real need for faster at this point, for "mere" data. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:21 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Good decision. If it ain't broke don't replace it. Especially for mere data.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:25 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'll second that. If you have an IDE drive laying around and it's not puking up bad sectors left and right, then plug it in and utilize it. I'm currently on a box that has a Maxtor DiamondMax IDE drive in it for storage (beside an SSD), and it's not giving me one bit of grief. I'm also still running an ANCIENT Quantum Fireball 60G drive in a box that's been up for over a decade (almost 2 decades) and it's still chugging along. Is it the most speedy drive ever? Nooooo...but it stores files just fine. Do I need to spend $40 on an SSD on sale? Nope to that as well. It's there, it's free, and it does it's job.

It's going to fail though this decade though, so it's backed up. If it doesn't fail, no harm no foul...but I'm still waiting for it to stop working. Really, I've had no problems with spindle or SSD drives besides one single batch of Seagate's at the 250G mark (5 RMA's) and one Raptor that I can fully place on my liberal overclocking travels and a weak ICH8 Southbridge of years past.

If it appears fine and if it's for storage, I say run it...but back it up. Or, don't fully trust it and expect it to fail at any given moment. I'd put more trust in those older IDE drives than a 7K 2TB S/ATA drive, that's for sure. I've got some 3TB drives and am running scared...how do you really back up those without laying down more cash just to back those up?

Basically, drives don't just die (usually). They give you warnings and if it's aged you watch them just a bit more. In people years, an IDE drive is pushing 55yo and just aiming for retirement. I see the fear but if nothing is out there tossing flags that it's dieing, let it keep working. Older IDE drives are more...substantial? Not flooded TB units with lower warranties from birth? Yeah, I trust them old farts a lot more than current drives. Run it!