Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I feel bad, now that i've bought a cooler...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Alright, some of you who might be familiar with my dilemma in regards to my 4850, you'll know what i'm talking about. And for those who have no idea what the hell i'm talking about. Well, here it is.

Basically, SOMETHING happened to my system, after running my new cooler, which was performing very well by the way.

I can't rule out wether my card went bad or not. But anyway. That's not the point.

Now that it's out of my system, and possibly never will be back IN. I really feel awful about getting that cooler. While it's nice; a Zalman VF770, it just feels wasteful now.

At least if it was compatible with today's cards, i'd have assurance that i'd be able to use it for a card that i'd buy in the future. Ot at least if it could mount somewhere other than on a video card.

It's compatible with the last generation of cards. The 4800 series Radeons, up to the 9000 series Nvidia cars, and i believe the GT 200s.

In cases like this, what do people usually do with their parts?

The thought of selling it doesn't even cross my mind. I just bought it...

I'm really down about this right now. If ONLY they made it more universal/ambidextrous. DAMN it all!

I love how there are a ton of aftermarket parts in the computer world... but... they eventually become just as useless as the initial piece of hardware. Which just isn't right. They are supporting mods/parts, not the actual hardware itself. In this case, my 4850.

At least if it was cheap, which it wasn't. It was over $70.

What am i to do with this cooler, now?

Post subject: Re: I feel bad, now that i've bought a cooler...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:17 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

E-Bay....remember what the used car salesman said...the is an azz for every seat!

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Errrmmm... yyyeah. I suppose. But i'd like to make use of it, since i bought it. I don't want to sell it.

I just hope my card isn't messed up.

If only it could mount elsewhere... :x

BUT. Back to the subject of selling.

The way i see it, the longer i wait, the more someone will be willing to buy it.

If someone is looking for this cooler in the future, they'd be willing to pay for it. Especially given the practically brand-new condition it's in.

But i'd like to make an old AMD system out of that generation of Radeon cards.

Always wanted a Phenom 2 X4 955, or 965 BE.

Still very nice CPUs.

Might even do it after i build my beast system. As a compact-form system.

Then again...i don't know what good it is, using the old...in the world of cumputers. UGH... This all makes my head hurt.

But anyhow, yes. Thanks, Nasty.

The way i see it, the longer i hold out until i want to sell it, the better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:51 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
The way i see it, the longer i hold out until i want to sell it, the better.

The longer you hold on to it the less it will be worth....you won't get half of what you paid for it now!

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

GAH! Why won't they make these things more universal... Or at least mountable on different areas of your system. FFS!

I wonder if i could return it for a refund... But then again, this card won't be being cooled by ANYTHING.

If only that STUPID stock shroud didn't fail.

It shouldn't have. I don't see why it would when a card is $250...

Damn, sometimes computer hardware, as much as i love it, just doesn't make any FREAKIN' sense! I'm a little mad now. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:58 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Ya, they use 3 dollar fans on a 300 buck card, they should be shot! If you still have the old heatsink, mount it and use a 80 mm fan to mount to it. This is what I did to a 7800 GTX and the damn thing ran cooler than the original fan assembly.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

WOW!

You serious? But...how would i go about doing that? How can the fan that's already there even be removed? And...how in the hell do i fit another fan into the shroud?

GAH! I wonder if i can return this freakin' cooler...

Or just figure out what's wrong with my system... FFS!

I gave up on my other thread. I can't test the card in another system. Because i don't have another system.

This really sucks... It was running FINE on the new cooler for WEEKS! And all of a sudden my system just pulls a Murder-Death-Kill on my #$$.

Oh yeah, and Nasty, btw... when it comes to high end cards, are THEIR fans the same way? Say, if you got a GTX 680... would you be getting your money's worth? I sure HOPE so!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:21 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Yes I am serious! I took the shroud and fan off the video card and left the heatsink in place. Then I took the 80mm fan and placed it on the heatsink. The heatsink and 80 mm fan housing were the same size so I used sheet-metal screws to secure the fan to the heatsink via going between the heatsink fins and it held just fine by spreading and cutting into the fins, and like I said above it is still running today. I am waiting for the other fan to quit and I will do the same thing to card two.

You know that if you clean the fan with compressed air without holding the blade from spinning you will kill the bearings in the motor...yes?

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Now i don't know what do to... should i keep it; assuming the card is fine. Or sell it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:26 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I wouldn't sell it as you did have it apart and had the heatsink off. The buyer will only come back and demand his money back when he/she finds out. I know I would. It seems to me you are stuck with it. If you want to find out if it is ok, RMA it to the factory and ask them to check it out. They will tell you if it has bad chips or not.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Oh... you mean RMA the card, right? Because the cooler's fine. It's the card i'm questioning, but also wondering whether or not i should keep the cooler.

I'd love to know if it's ok, or not.

I'll contact Diamond. They better be able to do this. It's kind of ridiculous for it to just die like this. For seemingly no reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:25 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You better have the original cooler on the card when you send it or they won't even look at it.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The 4850 had inherit problems. I gave all them things away years ago.

Just for reference: Newegg has 3870 X2's for $70 a pop. For $140 you can have 4 dated GPU's pumping up DX10 goodness in two PCIe slots. What's an HD4850 worth then? Not worth selling IMO. P.T. Barnum keeps eBay alive! You can try, but no reserve...so watch the other 4850's selling. No bids usually.

I've tried several 5/6 cards in an iTX build and had difficulty upping on-die video abilities of current CPU's. As people catch on to this, they stop buying. It's no Voodoo 5500 card and has zero nostalgia. It's a borked card.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yes... that's nice. But that doesn't help me at all. Like i said. This is a pre-configured Best Buy shitter.

All i want is to somehow know if the card is OK.

I'm not in a position to reinstall it. Because i think it's just going to be a waste of time.

I guess the only good that's come out of all of this is;

- Research the hell out of a card before you buy it.
- Research fan assembly. And make sure you buy a card that has a very sturdy fan that will last as long as the card is used...
- But a 9800 GT instead of an HD 4850, because the temps are lower, and optimal operating temperatures are lower.

I don't think i'm ever going ATI again...

I really should have bought a 9800 GT.

That being said...

I mean... is it safe to say that the high end cards/certain cards that are higher up in terms of power have very well-built fans?

Say, a GTX 480, for example?

ARE there cards that don't have fans that BREAK on you. Because they really shouldn't...

I wouldn't be pissed if my 4850 was ok. But i don't know that.

And the whole process of RMAing just makes me SICK! GAH.

GOD, WHY DIDN'T I BUT FROM EVGA! FFS!