Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Three Monitor Setup on E6420
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 am 

I am trying to set up my laptop to use two (2) external monitors. I am using a Dell Latitude E6420 laptop that has an external VGA connection as well as an HDMI connection. Currently I am able to use the laptop LCD screen as one display and an external monitor connected to the external VGA connection on the laptop. I would like to, if possible, connect a second external monitor to the HDMI connection. The monitor I have has an HDMI connection on it and when I connect it to the laptop, I am unable to get it to work on the 3rd (HDMI connection) monitor yet it will output to the laptop LCD and the external VGA connected monitor.
Is there a way to get it to output to the HDMi connected monitor as well? Do I need third party software to accomplish that? The laptop is running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. It is on a company domain but access is not a problem (I have domain administrator access if necessary).

Post subject: Re: Three Monitor Setup on E6420
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:43 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Chances are you can only support two outputs, and when you add in a third one, the computer won't do anything. You'll have to tell it to switch to the HDMI out.

Post subject: Re: Three Monitor Setup on E6420
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The problem is the video adapter. The E6420 uses an nVidia chip that only supports 2 displays at a time. You would need an ATI chip with eyefinity to get more than 2 displays off the same adapter. At this point your best bet is looking at USB-DVI adapters to add the 3rd monitor.