Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Using your MaxPC as DVR for Advanced Home Security System?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:50 am 

All,

Please---ANY advice is *sincerely* appreciated on the topic of home security using your PC--using the max potential of our PCs as sensors, video DVRs, and communication (alert) devices.

Here is what I want to do:

1) Install a security system consisting of several Day/night vision cameras that interface with the main unit and output video to PC as DVR.
2) Have the pc (or the unit) alert me using software via text/corporate email of any intrusions/alerts.
3) Allow for me to remote/authenticate into the PC and monitor for true or false positive alerts, real time. (and call the police)

I honestly don't know where to turn and really want to avoid subscription security companies (think of ADT) for limited security. Besides, I know of people that were robbed while actually subscribed to one... This honestly could make for a nice subject in a future mag for the older readers, but I'll gladly take any advice or pointers from anyone who's gone this route of using a home-PC with UPS powered backup. I've been an avid reader and still have my Boot (and the Net) mags from the old days. It's just that now that I've grown up (got my IT degree and working for a global company) and have a family, I want to make sure we are safe.

I can perform the cable runs/power runs and wireless would be a dream (backup/contingency wireless using neighbor's system to communicate alerts), but I simply don't know where to turn.

Please----Help!

Thank you again.

-Mark (current subscriber)

Post subject: Re: Using your MaxPC as DVR for Advanced Home Security Syste
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:01 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I did some Googling and found this article where you use your Pc in conjunction with the security equipment.

http://www.crn.com/news/channel-program ... *.ecappj02

Components in the pc you will need along with a 64 bit system to run a lot of ram and huge hard drives:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5844498_build-h ... puter.html

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb- ... 17015.aspx

A friend has a simple system he built using video cameras that turn and swivel that he monitors from work on his laptop. All the software came along with the camera purchase. I can find out what system it is if you want. Not only can he see but listen...boy did that piss off his daughter :twisted:

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:14 pm 

really nice and very happy in this post and this comment ...i like these type article ...
And I really like to know about these things...
i hope you send me more information in this topic in this page and kindly send me pm ....
thanks for advance ....

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:07 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

K-guard had a decent stand-alone kit that did all that (minus an HDD that you simply install). While it's IR is a bit short sighted (they all look the same illuminated at night from 15' up), it's pretty good video over all. Even with the weak IR; In the end I'd rather have lights come on and hope to scare them off instead of secretly recording the people feeling comfortable stealing my stuff.

If you go hardwired, it takes a bit of work but is possible. Lots of switches out there dedicate part of their ports or at least bandwidth and management to home surveillance.