Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blank (virgin) HDD's; are any preformatted?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:00 am 

I have always been under the impression new hard drives (not SSD's) are not formatted. Low level, yes, but not for ant file system (FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3 etc.) It was up to the user to prepare the drive.

I got into a discussion with an "engineer" from a small CE manufacture regarding DVR's and he is/was under the impression new drives were already formatted. I explained how could be since there isn't any way the manufacture would/could know how/where the drive was going to be used.

I did a little searching and came across this article;
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-for ... ard-drive/

and this statement;
Quote:
Most new external hard drives available in the market are designed to be plug and play. By plug and play, what I mean is that you can just plug in the hard drive and start using it right away. This is because the manufacturers send the disk initialised and ready to work with the most common operating systems.
The internal hard disks available in the market, on the other hand, require to be prepared before use.
"External" hard drives?? The only "external" thing I know is an external enclosure.

Am I missing something here?? Has something changed in the past five or so years??

Post subject: Re: Blank (virgin) HDD's; are any preformatted?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:39 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

An external hard drive refers to an internal hard drive (sometimes a laptop-size drive, to save space) in an enclosure that adds USB, FireWire, or eSATA instead of the normal SATA interface.
Before the manufacturer ships one of these drives in its enclosure, they format it in NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, or whatever Apple uses (in the case of TimeCapsule drives).

An Internal hard drive (a hard drive not in an enclosure) is not formated.

As far as I know, it's always been this way.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:30 am 

Quote:
As far as I know, it's always been this way.
This is the 1st time I have heard of the phase being used to describe an external enclosure with a HDD inside.

It was/is wrong from the start. More unnecessary confusion.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:11 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

It's industry standard, so we have to live with it. Also, most people will not be taking their enclosures apart, so it's easier to call the enclosure+formatted drive an "external hard drive" instead of forcing people to get their enclosures separately.

For the minority of superusers, it's more confusing, because we care about accuracy of language. For the general public, it's less confusing, because they care about ease of use.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:06 pm 

Quote:
For the minority of superusers, it's more confusing, because we care about accuracy of language. For the general public, it's less confusing, because they care about ease of use.
That's about it. The CEA at it's finest. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You're debating semantics and not the debate itself. If the question is "are all hard drives formatted out of the factory" then the answer then is no. If you stick one in an external enclosure then it's still probably no and the one that sticks it in an enclosure does the formatting.

Does WD format drives in their enclosures? Yes...but not all HDD's that go into them; after they go into this other "thing". Makeusof.com isn't a discussion nor useful in the original debate. Now you're debating them and you got sideswiped.