Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Uggh, I Wish I Never Got an SSD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:51 pm 

So here is the deal. My C: drive is an SSD (OCZ Agility 3) and it holds my OS and some of the programs I'd like to start a little faster. Then my D: drive is my DVD RW, my E: drive is my virtual drive, and then I have my F: drive (1TB Seagate Barricuda) which I'd like to be my main drive (music, videos, bigger programs etc.)

The problem is, certain games/programs download automatically to the C: drive which I have no space on. So how the heck do I change the automatic install? So I was thinking maybe I could just wipe my SSD with a linux boot cd and reinstall the os, then change the regedit and then specify certain programs to install on the C: drive right? Wrong (it seems). In a ditch effort I made a programs (x86) folder and a (programs) folder on my F: drive, cut all of the programs from C: and pasted to F:, and went into windows regedit and changed the Directories. Not only did half of the files not want to transfer, but the default installation is still the C: drive and some programs want me to install them again. So if changing the default install directory to F: doesn't work then what would be the point of wiping my SSD and starting over. I feel like I am missing something because there are so many people with SSD boot drives and HDD main drives that have no problems. WTF?!

I'm legitimately half tempted to ditch my SSD and just put my OS and all on my HDD.

Post subject: Re: Uggh, I Wish I Never Got an SSD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

what games and programs? If you are using steam, you should checkout the Steam Mover program.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:42 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

OCZ forums have been on this for years now. They're good and I can tell you nothing here they haven't already. I've been living off fast yet small drives forever. It's possible and just has a learning curve to it. No different than having a 75G raptor 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I see you posted this exact message over at Hardware Canucks. I left you a full answer there.

The gist of it is that with proper management even a small OS SSD is sufficient.

I suggested you visit the Eeeuser forums to get advice from people who are experienced in booting from tiny (2GB-4GB) SSDs.

I also suggested that you consider resizing your pagefile if you have lots of RAM and a small boot SSD. I've never had a problem with a static 2GB PF in Win7. If you have 16GB of RAM you'll reclaim 14GB of SSD space.

HDDs are absolutely horrible as boot devices. I prefer a trifurcated storage system... a PCIe SSD for the OS and some apps, a SATA3 SSD (or SSD array) for more apps and fast onboard storage and USB3 external HDDs for bulk data storage. There are no internal HDDs in any of my laptops or desktop systems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I suggest you aim your posts better. If I'm not in MPC, I'm in Anand and you're just talking to the wrong guy.

You're not getting much help with this, are you? Jimbo, ask a question and accept it. Don't tell us how to answer your questions. You're being an ass hat and no one wants to play with you. This wasn't even your thread dude. Help him with his SSD or STFU.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Chumly wrote:
I suggest you aim your posts better. If I'm not in MPC, I'm in Anand and you're just talking to the wrong guy.

You're not getting much help with this, are you? Jimbo, ask a question and accept it. Don't tell us how to answer your questions. You're being an ass hat and no one wants to play with you. This wasn't even your thread dude. Help him with his SSD or STFU.

Sorry if you thought I was addressing you. My post was aimed at the original poster. This should be obvious from the fact that I referred to him posting the same thing over at HWC.

Tell you how to answer my questions? I wasn't asking any questions. I was answering the OP's question.

Help him with his SSD or STFU? Helping him with his SSD was exactly what I was doing by suggesting he consider resizing his pagefile and steering him toward a site with lots of information about dealing with small OS SSDs.

Chumly, perhaps you should read twice and think before posting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:43 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I read twice, 4ths, and octal..perhaps I'm not the question here and yet the guy to listen to? I can't imagine the day I don't know WTF I'm talking about.

Jim, help him and I'll just stand by and pick it apart then. If we're folding out our e-peen, I win by default. But whatever...I'm not pulling my dick out for you in some forum contest. I know what I know, I've worked were I've worked...and Jim is a watcher. I'm going to be a dick and say my resume says 3DX, AMD, and Intel on them as an Engineer. So stop with the "Chumly doesn't matter" shit.

Back to the matter at hand, you're fucking wrong. You're a common follower spouting other people's advice. Target me, you get the horns wiki dude.

This helps no one. You could have attacked me in PM, talk it out, didn't, and so be it. I feed the troll I guess. But I'm no dummy to SSD or any of this tech. I take pride in that I did something in tech such as this. There's no Jimbodale CPU named after you (I've got one named after me).

Sorry all...I just can't stand that everyone knows everything. Jim, get out from under the bridge and go to my class.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:52 am 
Klamath
Klamath

PM sent to Chumly. Sorry about the public dispute here and in my XM11 thread folks.

I should have never risen to his bait publicly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Its a moot point now since OP has spammed this question across 3 other forums and have been answered.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I don't see a clear answer here - and this can be useful to others, so here's the solution I use.

Like UNIX, ntfs can handle symbolic links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

In windows vista/7 this command is built in. In XP, you'll need a tool (e.g. http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... llext.html)

Essentially, say you have a folder on your C:\ drive you wish were stored on an alternate drive - e.g. D:\

lets assume we want data in "C:\Documents and Settings\Beomagi\My Documents\filesidontwanthere" moved to
"D:\transplants\here".

You'd copy all data from "C:\Documents and Settings\Beomagi\My Documents\filesidontwanthere" to "D:\transplants\here"

Rename "C:\Documents and Settings\Beomagi\My Documents\filesidontwanthere" to say "filesidontwanthere_temp"

now create the symbolic link in "C:\Documents and Settings\Beomagi\My Documents\" called "filesidontwanthere" linking to "D:\transplants\here"

practical e.g. -
So in this example
1 - Copy the folder to another location where you want it
2 - Rename the original folder - only delete it when you're done!
3 - Create the symbolic link to new destination
4 - Doublecheck
5 - Test your apps
6 - Delete the renamed source

note - tool used is linkd from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/co ... x?id=17657

Code:
C:\temp>xcopy autostitch autotemp  --------------------------------------------- copy your files to where you want them
Does autotemp specify a file name
or directory name on the target
(F = file, D = directory)? D
autostitch\autostitch.exe
autostitch\LICENSE.TXT
autostitch\README.TXT
3 File(s) copied

C:\temp>mv autostitch autostitch_temp  --------------------------------- backup your original

C:\temp>linkd autostitch autotemp      --------------------------------- create link with the name of the original
Link created at: autostitch

C:\temp>dir /ad | grep auto           ----------------------------------------proof it - this shows the link was made
02/15/2012  12:11 PM    <JUNCTION>     autostitch
08/16/2011  02:06 PM    <DIR>          autostitch_temp
02/15/2012  11:51 AM    <DIR>          autotemp

C:\temp>dir autostitch                   ----------------------------------------proof it - this shows files in \autostitch (which is really under autotemp)
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is F81B-872F

Directory of C:\temp\autostitch

02/15/2012  11:51 AM    <DIR>          .
02/15/2012  11:51 AM    <DIR>          ..
01/17/2008  10:56 PM           774,144 autostitch.exe
12/12/2006  09:56 PM               639 LICENSE.TXT
12/12/2006  09:57 PM             3,221 README.TXT
               3 File(s)        778,004 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  22,674,448,384 bytes free

From this example, you can have autostich on c:\ - it could be in your my docs folder or where ever. Autotemp can be on any other drive. Files will exist in autotemp and use space there - but the link lets you access them as if they were still in "autostitch".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:07 pm 

Beomagi posted exactly what I was going to say. With symbolic links you can move virtually any folder to another location, including another disk. That way you can have the whole "Users" (or old "Documents and Settings") folder on your F: drive. You can also move Program Files to another drive too. But often some of those programs start on login, so you might want to move only certain sub folders.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:44 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I just added a Samsung Series 830 256 Gb SSD and so far no issues. I have two WD Caviar Black 1 TB Hdds in here foir back up & storage, but rarely have a lot of stuff anyway, OS, Drivers, a few utilities and a game or two and rarely need more than 100gb or so. The SSD's are nice though. :D

[url]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 am 
Team Member
Team Member

JBaz wrote:
what games and programs? If you are using steam, you should checkout the Steam Mover program.

That's bloody brilliant, exactly the thing I've been looking for! Thanks for the tip!