Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: hard drives - horizontal or vertical? does it really matter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Does it really matter anymore whether a hard drive is mounted vertically or horizontally? I know that horizontal is the "preferred" way, but does it decrease the life any if it's mounted vertically (on its side, or from top to bottom -- like SATA connector aiming upward towards sky)?

Post subject: Re: hard drives - horizontal or vertical? does it really ma
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Nope.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:45 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I figured as such. I have a crappy case I'm going to throw a mobo and drive into and use for watching TV online, but the case is actually a mid tower, so I wanted to put it on its side, so I can put it on a shelf in my entertainment center (where it won't really be seen if it's on its side). But that would require the drive to be sitting vertically and not horizontally.

Just wanted to double check. I know in the early days it did matter (like back in the early 90's/late 80's), but I also sort of figured that HD tech has gotten much better over the years and spindles and read arms are stronger and more durable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Actually, the interior parts are much flimsier and more fragile these days, because machining processes are turning out much more precise parts that are smaller and lighter. Improvements in storage density also means less parts overall. It takes significantly less energy to operate the fewer lighter parts (i.e. rotating razor thin platters). Also, negligible mass means very little force (F=mg) is required to move read heads. As long as the drive stays cool, no worries. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

HDD orientation doesn't matter, what does matter if you are re-orientating the drives around when the drives are in motion and the heads are out. The disc's are basically floating on bearings (on the spindle) while the heads are barely above the platters. A violent movement (like a drop or a rapid flick) can cause the arms to bend a bit and have the heads scratch the surfaces of the platters.

But if the drive is stationary, you'll have no issues. Basically the same mechanical design/layout of the internals has been around for decades and I still remember being able to orient old hdd's vertically in some of my old old cases back when 5.25" discs were still all the rave. I actually found a box of old Zip discs from the mid 90's but all of my zip drives are all scsi based and none of my current machines (4-5 generations or so) even had scsi anymore. I might have to pull out my old penium 100 just to see whats on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:36 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Many drives release in the last 3 years include zero G protection schemes to park the heads in the event of a drop. The heads park on a plastic rack that preserves the precise width between the upper and lower arms. A significant impact may still damage a HDD, but it's not guaranteed as it was before the tech was introduced. Used to be if you dropped a drive, you could kiss it goodbye while it was falling...

So you're saying you have a Pentium 100 laying around, but no PCI SCSI card?! :shock:

Hell if you're collecting antiques, I may still have an Apple II around here somewhere. I know I have a IIGS in storage, but I keep that for playing the original War in Middle Earth. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:18 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

PCI? I wish... its ISA...

Oh, I have apple II's still laying around. I also got a 22" Apple monitor that weighs 140lbs or something like that... I just remember it weighs more than me.

Also, the Zero G protection doesn't protect from violent rotations or flicks. It detects if the drive is in free-fall acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 then it retracts the arms.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hehe! I haven't seen an ISA slot in a long time. Pretty sure I still have an ISA modem kicking around here somewhere. Why do I keep this shit? :?

22" Apple monitor huh? At least yours can still be considered useful. RGB and monochrome displays, and the Apple II and IIGS is the only Apple hardware I own. Just taking up space in storage... :|

Anyway, acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2. That is the only speed that it could fall at...on this planet anyway. So, yes if it's falling the head will park.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I'm talking about violent motions like throwing it or rotating it from flat to vertical really fast. You'll hear the heads start to scratch the platters. If the impulse is a very short, fast acting force, then the accelerometers won't do a damn thing in time to retract the heads quick enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:20 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I know what you're talking about J, I was only ever talking about falling tho. I never mentioned anything about 3rd derivative motion or vibration. I only brought up the 0-G tech. It had nothing to do with what you were talking about.