Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Will this give me fuss?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey all, I bought a Asus Desktop for my dad for fathers day, and now he wants to play Trainz 12 and it doesn't exactly cooperate with the on-board graphics. It's an Asus CM1630 with a 300w(peak) PSU. I was curious to know, if anybody knows if you're able to upgrade desktop pcs with a standard psu? I'd honestly look, but my dad says everything I touch I ruin. Lol.. So he wanted me to ask.

Post subject: Re: Will this give me fuss?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:03 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

most of the time i think oem type computers are using standard ATX these days ...not always the case back in the day proprietary psus where common ...my person favorite where the dell's that used the standard ATX connector but wired differently :D

so the bummer thing about swapping the psu is it probably will void his warranty but meh...

I suppose if it was me i'd double check the model number stickers on the PSU that's in there and google fu for information on it to see if it is a standard atx size

hmm i just looked it up looks pretty bog standard atx to me but I'm not at all prepared to swear to it. I would still look up the info off the psu sticker

Post subject: Re: Will this give me fuss?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Swapping PSU's for a trial run won't break any warranty...there's no seal, so they don't know. I just don't think it's the PSU that needs swapped out since I don't think it's an issue. If the issue is Trainz only...I just highly doubt the power supply that feeds energy to the system is not compatible with a game.

The graphics on that is listed as being a ATI Radeon 3000 which should handle Trainz 12 just fine. The specs just blanket state "AMD Phenom II" and "up to 16G memory" which I'm sure is up to the buyer to configure. Depending on what you selected, a 300W PSU would still be find and not underpower any part of that desktop. So...the configuration chosen needs stated far before you start talking about tossing random parts at this thing. The PSU, since it's just one game having issues, being the last to blame. It could even be more simple as a game that has had no update since v1.0 and not hardware at all.

It could also be something as simple as game settings and expecting the best from onboard video. So give the config you have chosen, the screen it's trying to draw on, and what exactly is happening with the game (glitches, stalls, odd blocks) and we'll try to make you look good. You don't have to tell him you asked either; we don't know the guy! Crap...unless he read this.
------------------------------------------------
And hey, don't worry about the old man. It took decades before I heard "good job". Decades after that, I was told "I've been watching you learn and was just being crucial...that's what Dad's do". And yup, this Dad's been doing it as well. /end sappy country song ;)