Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hard drive purchase ID
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:58 am 

Hey,

Welcome to my first post. :)

here are some tips that may not have been covered elsewhere: [or, you old-timers use them every day]. :wink: :

I'm building a collection of HD movies on a bunch of drives and I quickly find out that organizing/connecting the invoice date/vendor for each drive is a PITA. Too many drives have gone south and I couldn't match them up with the original purchase/vendor info. :evil:

Now I rename all of my new drives to include the vendor and date of purchase. That way it's a snap to locate that particular invoice in my emails of purchases or stack of store receipts.

example:

WD-750 [newegg, 2-12-10] (E:)

Also, included with the files on each drive I have a note stating more info, such as the last date it was successfully CHKDSK'd, duration of the warranty, etc.

Adding these notes to drives contents has been very useful and it's not even a text "file". I just right-click, choose 'text document', type your note/reminder/warning, and leave off the .txt and ignore the warning pop-up.

'Frinstance, a reminder I have in my videocard downloads/drivers folder:

''NOTE - run 'drivercleaner' and-or 'Windows Installer Cleanup' before updating drivers'' > this has saved my butt on more than one occasion. :mrgreen:

Be advised though that some "pc mechanic" programs consider these some kind of orphaned files and will delete them. :?

Post subject: Re: Hard drive purchase ID
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:24 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I have no idea what you just told me. You can sort data by date modified or created. When I rip a DVD from 1976, it's sortable by the created date.

Rosemary's Baby...no problem knowing that it's not a new rip. HD? You're dealing with much newer movies, and why I'm lost in your "fix".

WTF does Vendor have to do with saving data?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

He's basically just telling us what he was using them for when he happened upon an epiphany to start using these processes to remind him about stuff to do with the drives. The beginning part is useless info, but the tips themselves may help someone, who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Why is this even posted in the free clinic section? This is not a help me out of this HDD debacle, it's this is how I name something. :shock: I'm sure that this advice has a purpose but I don't feel it should be in this section of the forums IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:11 am 

Chumly wrote:
I have no idea what you just told me. You can sort data by date modified or created.

Where did I mention "sorting data" :? , it's about making it easier to identify when and where the drive was purchased, in case it fails a CHKDSK or s.m.a.r.t. test.

Chumly wrote:
WTF does Vendor have to do with saving data?

Where did I mention "saving data"? :? My post was about renaming your drives using the vendor and date of purchase, which will make it much easier to obtain an RMA in case it fails within the warranty period.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:57 am 

Wiked_smart wrote:
Why is this even posted in the free clinic section? This is not a help me out of this HDD debacle, it's this is how I name something. :shock: I'm sure that this advice has a purpose but I don't feel it should be in this section of the forums IMHO.

WTH's the deal with the hostility on here? :?

This was a preventive tip and I see no where else in the forum more suitable to post it.

The point is I have had HDD debacles where it was making "clicks of death" and tested as defective and I couldn't RMA it to the vendor/manufacturer because I forgot when or where I purchased it!

So renaming the new drive with that vendor/date of purchase info makes it MUCH easier (if the drive dies) to find the required receipt or packing list, obtain an RMA#, and print out a copy of that invoice to include with the drive when you ship it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:00 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Moved to a more appropriate section...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, it's not really a matter of solving a problem. Questionably preventive medicine, but not really. Don't we have an area for tips n tricks, or is that a section that's needed still?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:43 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Solfan wrote:
WTH's the deal with the hostility on here? :?

First off, Welcome to the forum.

Second, let me apologize for those who can't seem to realize their words and how they choose to use them tend to put off both new and old forum users.

Third, your suggestion make good sense. Hopefully someone will find them as useful as you did.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:43 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The age of the drive does not matter. If it does, you write it on a piece of paper or a text file placed in a safe place. If you name your drives "WD 320 3rd drive in order July 2009", that's your choice...but doesn't help us really. Why couldn't you just use newegg and have them hold the info, use a sharpie and write it on the drive, or keep your receipt and put it in a physical filing drawer?

I'm just saying, multi drive machines aren't rare and haven't been for some time. If someone has 24 drives in their machine, they're not going to name them separately in case of an RMA. Why? They're backing up or just risking it. If they risk it without a backup, the info is contained on the label. I just did this today for a DVD drive. It was made in April of 2008, didn't know the date I bought it or the warranty, but new I got it at the egg. So I went to the egg, narrowed the search, and found out the exact date I placed the order and when the warranty started for that device. Went to samsung (hoping for a 3 year warranty but it's just one year), and that's that.

This is just opinion basically. I do it my way, you do it your way, 300 other people will do it 300 different other ways. I'll say that your way is very rare and not very useful for most folks. My D: drive will remain "documents", you've listed no way to list the 4 individual drives that are in RAID to name the unified drive it creates, and just isn't practical. So again; "How does this exactly help?" and why be insulted that your idea isn't openly accepted by all? No one comes to public forums with ideas and expects even mild acception as a whole.

It's a minor purchase. I keep logs on oil changes and such on major purchases, but not a PC part. And Londo, give me a screen shot that you are following this advice before you raise your chin against the commoners. The logical mindset would be to find one person this helps prior too doing so...wouldn't it? "Those" is a put off, because you can't say "whom" in any format. Let's face it; it's a bad idea unless everything around us that is material or food is labeled with a date....regardless of what the label on the product states. When was your house phone bought and is there a big Sharpie or Paintstick born-on date written on it too?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:31 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I find it easier to Just name the drive the same as the box it came in.

I tape the receipts for that stuff to the box, so i can look at the info on there. My example would be my media drive, called "CaviarBlue" because it's a WD Caviar Blue, and my torrent drive ECODrive, being a WD "green" drive with economic/green features. if my drive has issues, then i can avoid that particular drive. my Game/apps backups drive i call "TERRORBYTE. it's not a scary drive, i just could not think of a cooler name for it.

personalizing drive names is fun & cool, i think. keeps things fun while looking through a PC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

And Bingo justifies it then. See? We can agree to disagree in our order/disorder we take with our PC's. I maintain my order when that's disorder to others. I need C: to be the root of it all, like Sesame Street D is for documents, M is for media, Y/Z is a clone drive, and E/F/G will always be optical drives. So if I had one 2TB drive, C/D/& M could all be one physical drive partitioned up. In my viewpoint, there's no way to apply this ideal to mine without each being an individual drive. It says nothing about partitioning and order in my view point...and I need order more than an RMA date and what the drive is. I just happen to know the way I set up my rigs.

I also have to apologize to Londo after I re-read my post. It made sense when I was typing it, but not after re-reading it thrice...and another time a day later. It comes off like I'm demanding a screenshot and other things when that wasn't the intent at all. I just meant that if it was something you'd use, it'd be something you'd have in place and in use. I just wanted one person to back home slice up before the other posts were called on as being too far negative. We didn't see it, I surely can't use it, so who can? No glass houses, right? Well, we got Bingo here that could use it, already does, and others might take to it too. It leaves a lot to be desired, but there's a start somewhere in geekdom. I just hope it's not all on Warranty dates :z