Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge vs. Haswell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:31 pm 

Can anyone tell me what you gain by going to haswell (from sandy bridge cpu)? I'm thinking of building a pc using a sandy bridge core i7 2600k cpu (i already got the cpu at a great price) and clocking it at 4.5ghz. What is the difference between a haswell running at 4.5ghz vs. this cpu? Do the haswell cpu's have more cache?? I just don't understand why there is a need to go to haswell cpu's when there doesn't seem to be a big difference between sandy/ivy/haswell. I actually like the sandy bridge cpu's because they have the IC heat spreaders soldered to the cpu die, whereas on ivy or haswell cpu's they are attached via inferior thermal paste (limiting overclocks slightly and making cpu's run slightly hotter so i'm told). This is going to be my first foray into core i7 technology (currently using a q6600 quad core system). I will be using this system mainly to play pc games and will also be playing a lot with my emulators (epsxe, pcs2, nulldc & dolphin). I understand that a core i5 would suit my needs just fine, but I got a great deal on this cpu (pretty much got it for the same price as a 2500k cpu). I just wanted to get some advice and/or feedback into what you guys think as far as differences between sandy/ivy & haswell architectures are concerned. Thank you for any input.

Post subject: Re: Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge vs. Haswell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Each architecture has about a 10%-15% average performance jump between each other. And while heat is a concern, it's only useful if you care about extending the life of the part. If you can cool the part well below what Intel's stock coolers can do, then you're pretty much guaranteed heat will not be a factor in life span. Aside from that, you also have to look at the system as a whole. The 6 and 7 series only have 2 native SATA 6Gbps ports. Any more are done via a third party controller and tend to offer inferior performance. The 6 series also lacks native USB 3.0 support, but the 7 series has 4 USB 3.0 ports. Meanwhile, the 8 and 9 series chipsets have 6 native SATA 6Gbps ports and 6 USB 3.0 ports. The 8 series boards tend to have a mSATA slot for those SSDs and the 9 series has an M.2 slot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:22 pm 

Thanks for the reply LatiosXT. So basically what you're saying is that it's basically more of a socket type & "chipset" difference (more features) rather than a cpu speed increase. Do the Ivy & Haswell chips have more cache on the cpu's? There just doesn't seem to be much of a difference at all between the 3 cpu's to me.
I remember upgrading from a pentium 4 to a Core 2 quad and it was a night & day difference, and that was one generation difference...i think going from a q6700 to a 2600k will be a little less of a difference, but still pretty significant (two generation gap). But going from sandy bridge to haswell (again two generation gap) seems to yield very little if anything.
And I have heard that the sandy bridge cpu's overclock better because they have soldered TIM on the cpu die. Is that true? I have a noctua nh-u14s cooler and plan on overclocking my 2600k to 4.5ghz, or at least 4.4ghz, which it seems will be pretty easy going by success rates people online have had with this cpu. I have an Asus Z68 deluxe board and will have 4 hard drives hooked up (1 samsung pro 256gb ssd & 3 7200rpm hdd's). The ssd will be hooked up to the 6gb/s (grey) port. My video card will be an Asus geforce gtx 670. My case is a Fractal Design R4 with 4 fans installed. Ram will be G.Skill 16gb (4 sticks) 1600mhz ddr3. PSU is an NZXT Hale90 v2 1000watt. This will be my first build in 7 long years! My trusty Q6700/abit ip35pro/geforce gtx 260 system was a real workhorse for me for a long time. Do you think this new system is a good setup?
Again, thank you for any comments and/or advice/critiques. Also, if anyone wants to list their specs, please do so. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Cache shouldn't be used as an indicator of CPU performance. The old Athlon 64's had 512KB of L2 cache and they were smacking down Pentium 4's with 1MB or even 2MB.

As for overclocking, the choice of TIM doesn't matter either. You can overclock a Haswell part as fast as a Sandy Bridge one. The only difference is the Haswell part will run hotter, but it's nothing to be concerned about anyway since Haswell has lower TDP than Sandy Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:23 am 

ok, thank you for the info. Obviously I've been out of the loop for several years and just now getting back into it again, I cannot believe the amount of mobo chipses there are now that basically do the same thing. When I built my Q6600 system there were like 2 or 3 choices as far as chipsets went, and one of them was nforce. It's a completely different story now though. What is regarded as the best or most advanced chipset for I5/I7 based cpu's?
I was going to buy a haswell cpu, but then I found a pc on craigslist for $350 that had a 2600k and an asus z68 deluxe mobo I could not resist. I got really lucky with this purchase, as the guy obviously didn't know what he had and didn't seem to know much about PC's. I wound up just keeping the cpu & mobo and sold the rest. Wound up costing me like $150 for the cpu & mobo....not too shabby for a system that will be clocked to 4.5ghz!! :P ....I cannot wait to get started on this build...just waiting on my samsung 840 pro to come in the mail now. I've never used an ssd before, so I'm quite anxious to see how much faster it is than my raid 0 raptors were.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

z97 for 1150 based CPUs