Phenom II X6 Six Core
1090T Black Edition: 125(W), AM3 Socket, 9MB Cache, 3.2 GHz Freq @ 295 USD
1055T: 125(W), AM3 Socket, 9MB Cache, 2.8 GHz Freq @ 199 USD

source

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:08 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Amazing... that's a far cry from the $1K that Intel's demanding. And rightly so, I'd imagine, but 6-cores for the masses! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:24 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hyperthreading. You could get 8-thread CPU's from Intel for under $300 for a while now. The 1-grand job from Intel is 12 threads from 6-cores and be unlocked under the "extreme" logo...usually the entry for lower binned units.

Is AMD hyper threading the 6 cores to compete with the 8 threads on the well known 920?
Take out HT and 6 core Intel's are probably set for the $150-200 range too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Sure you have extra threads, but they're not execution cores. I'm not getting 6 cores from my 920...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:06 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

I'm more interested to see how AMD's 6 cores compare to Intel's 4.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

And that's the point I meant basically. Absolutely none of my apps will utilize more than 4 cores, and even that core count usage is a great majority.

But why is Hyperthreading not good? It's been brought back in a way that it's so acceptable and actually coded for. It's really deeper than the execute core count when we then get into threading. Threading and bit functionality has been awesome since Windows NT. With apps out now, it's still 8 cores versus 6.

Why I'm not early on the Intel 6x2 wagon either. I hate buying the big guns just to wait for it to be adopted, and then there's usually my level of CPU available by then. I'm done with extremes. I'll still have the socket and the chipset to support it at that time too, so why gut the thing to switch brands. n0B0dykn0ws has it...how does it perform and who's making the chipsets? I'm not hard to flip, but see so many flaws most of the time that my money doesn't go that direction. I'm solid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 pm 

Chumly wrote:
And that's the point I meant basically. Absolutely none of my apps will utilize more than 4 cores, and even that core count usage is a great majority.

But why is Hyperthreading not good? It's been brought back in a way that it's so acceptable and actually coded for. It's really deeper than the execute core count when we then get into threading. Threading and bit functionality has been awesome since Windows NT. With apps out now, it's still 8 cores versus 6.

Why I'm not early on the Intel 6x2 wagon either. I hate buying the big guns just to wait for it to be adopted, and then there's usually my level of CPU available by then. I'm done with extremes. I'll still have the socket and the chipset to support it at that time too, so why gut the thing to switch brands. n0B0dykn0ws has it...how does it perform and who's making the chipsets? I'm not hard to flip, but see so many flaws most of the time that my money doesn't go that direction. I'm solid.

the good old days when people said no game will ever run on 2 cores or 4, so why do you say no game will run on 6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:05 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

It's not that the games and software won't RUN on a 6 core, it's the fact that they aren't coded to use that many cores. Software nowadays is just starting to fully utilize quad cores. Even then, it's mostly games, photo and video editing programs, and that's about it. His point is that the software can't yet take advantage of these newer 6 or 8 core procs.