Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recording Composite Video?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I recently bought a shiny new Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product). Everything works great, except I can't find a way to record video from the composite inputs. Windows Media Center will do it if I tell it I'm recording from a Satellite or Cable box, but when I select that option, it tells me to set up a remote, which I don't have. There is no way to skip remote setup. Someone made a dummy remote driver to get past this screen, but its 32 bit only, and I'm running 64 bit Windows 7. So, with MCE out, I turned to the WinTV application that I thought came with the card, only to find that I got the OEM version of the card.

I have tried some free video recorders, but none of them seems to record the audio off of my card, they recorded video only. Roxio Creator 10.2 records fine, but I can't watch it recording (in other words, I can't see it recording, but I can watch the saved video.)

So, I'm stuck. What should I do? Does anybody know of any way to get past the screen on Windows Media Center? If not, then what software should I use to record my composite inputs? I want to convert VHS tapes to DVD's, and most of what I'll be working with is home videos, so I want to preserve as much of the quality as possible. That's why it is important that I use composite inputs as opposed to a coax cable.

If Microsoft had a clue, I wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Not an exact solution, but since you're converting VHS, why not just use the coax input?

Looking at the MCE docs on Hauppauge's site, I don't see where it would ask you for this. Personally, I'd probably hit the local thirft store or wal-mart and find a cheapo universal to use if you really need a remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I don't really want to use coax because I'm worried about video quality loss. I'd prefer to use composite inputs.

Yes, it appears that I might just have to give in and buy a remote. Its either that or spend $10 on WinTV, which seems to get awful reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:06 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I can't imagine you see a whole lot of loss. You are dealing with tape after all.

Were you playing a tape or displaying TV from the VCR tuner when you setup the analog tuner in Media Center?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Actually, I haven't used the VCR yet. I've been using a Plug and Play TV video game to get my connections up and running, as it shouldn't make a difference as long as there is video. I can get a working coax connection, but I want to make sure that as the tapes get converted, I get the best picture possible. Some of the tapes are home videos in bad shape, the last thing they need is more distortion through the conversion.

I also have an analogue video camera with mini tapes that need converting. If I can't plug it into the composite inputs on my card, then I'll have to run it thought the VCR too, a less than ideal option for archiving.

A Google search for IR Hardware Not Found will show that others have the same issue. I have pretty much given up on Media Center at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:00 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

winmaster wrote:
Actually, I haven't used the VCR yet. I've been using a Plug and Play TV video game to get my connections up and running, as it shouldn't make a difference as long as there is video.

One would think...although I would wonder the game is sending something that MCE would regognize (and how much need is there for someone to actually record a video game)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

No, there isn't a reason for me to record my game, but its easier to move around as I try to figure out everything than a VCR. And I'm fairly certain that its not the game, as other people have the same issue. As I said, its so bad that a dummy remote driver was developed, but its 32 bit only.

The problem here is Media Center only supports composite inputs if you tell it that you are recording a set top cable or satellite box. There is no simple composite input option.

Sage TV works fine, but its $70 once the trial expires. If I must, it would be cheaper for me to get an IR blaster and remote to satisfy Windows Media Center's demands. (I just don't like it when my computer tells me what I do and do not need. That's why I don't like Macs.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:09 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Don't give up on Media Center in general - just give up on it for this use. MC is not (and never has been) meant to be used as a video-capture app. That's what a proper capture card (and software) is for. ;)
You might be able to get a proper capture app to use the A/V inputs on your card, just not MC (at least, not without a lot of pain.)
* Exception: if you set up MC to use a STB (proper setup - using IR hardware, and you actually run an STB for TV use), then you can change the inputs when you want to archive a tape, and do a manual recording. However, the quality will be no better than the source material (especially for your already-degraded tapes.) No means to clean up the material. Again, here a proper vidcap / editing app would be better.

If you try getting the IR hardware, and then re-running TV Setup with your VCR as the STB, it'll still fail - MC won't be able to execute a channel change on the VCR (no built-in IR codes.) Manual code entry is, ah, iffy sometimes.

MC is a great DVR (and, only got better with each iteration), as that's what is was designed to be - a DVR and entertainment hub. Not a vidcap app.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:27 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok, so seeing as my card didn't come with software, what should I buy to capture video from it?

I don't want to spend a whole lot, but if software is what I need, I will buy it.

Scrolling through Newegg, it doesn't seem as though there is a whole lot of software that advertises capture from a tuner card. Also, I need a trial or demo version to be available so I can make sure it works before I buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:36 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Give VirtualDub a try. If it sees the A/V inputs on the tuner, great. If it doesn't, nothing but a few minutes lost - it's a free app.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

VirtualDub is EXACTLY what I have been looking for.

A thousand hearty thanks to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

You're welcome. I take it that it worked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Yes, it worked great. Now the problem is getting the video onto DVD (see my AVStoDVD thread.)