Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: It's finished....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:00 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Gentlemen, I present to you the "printer-to-computer-deja-vu" machine. This is a follow-on project to the original "printer-to-computer" machine I built earlier in 2004. Check out the documentation:

http://ubpcreviews.com/Bigal-HP/Printer ... -build.pdf

Last edited by Bigal on Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:10 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

that is soooo sweet, but you might wanna resize that pic, its a little big...

Post subject: Ok...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:46 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I cut it down 50%. Anyway, thanks for the compliment. You should see how well this machine....er....these machines game! The sweet thing about all this is the 21" Sony G520 CRT monitor...er...monitors. I actually prefer these over my 19" Samsung 912n LCD. I picked up the CRTs at a computer show over a period of 4-5 months. They are refurbrished, and cost about $250 to $300 with a 2-year warranty. So you can get two of them for the price of one 19" LCD, going with similar quality levels.

Yes, gaming time has arrived again, now that this project is complete! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:21 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Cool :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:13 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:01 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Finally a use for those old peices of crap! Looks great.

Post subject: Would you believe...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:50 am 
Klamath
Klamath

...that I had another one of these beasts offered to me for free last month, and I turned it down? I've been modding HP Laserjet printers because my office has been retiring a few of them. I could have taken home an even nicer one, and it was in working condition (this project had serious printer replacement needs, so it wasn't going to continue printing anyway), minus it's memory. But I just couldn't take on another project like this. I can't afford another project like this, both in time and money. So I helped the IT staff place it in a dumpster; it almost brought a tear to my eyes. :oops:

Well, at least this project is complete. I need to take a break for a few months, and do a few tech reviews at www.ubpcreviews.com . Go check the site if you have a few minutes. 8)

Oh yeah - we are having a New Year's contest. You'll want to see this link:

http://www.ubpcreviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227

We need pictures of your computers for a screensaver. If you have one, please e-mail it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:59 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Ahahahaha good job winning ROTM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:14 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Yeah congrats on ROTM. This thing is awsome. Know what would make it cooler though? If it could still print :P Anywho great job :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:22 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

WOW. All I can say is WOW! :shock:

Post subject: Thank you....thank you...(takes a bow)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:25 am 
Klamath
Klamath

My "printer-to-computer" was selected for the February 2005 issue. Yes, I am happy. Very happy indeed. That machine is an excellent gaming platform, but this one, with power to run two workstations, takes it a step further. But it's not just about building the machines - it's having friends over for a LAN party that is the big reward. :D

By the way, I did consider the printing issue. I almost bought an old "portable" HP dot-matrix printer for $10 from the computer show, but it didn't have print cartridges or a power brick. I probably could have made it operational, but that would have taken more time and money. Money is tight when you are going with a $400 videocard.... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:53 pm 

you entered the cm forum christmas mod contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:02 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Wacft wrote:
you entered the cm forum christmas mod contest.

Yes, I did. I entered just before the deadline of January 7th, right after I finished the PDF write-up. How did you know that I entered the Cooler Master holiday contest? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Bigal wrote:
How did you know that I entered the Cooler Master holiday contest? :?
Some of us lurk over there as well.

I entered their last contest as well, and I hate every last soul over there and won't return. It's so one-sided and not regulated. I thought it was a mod contest, and not a "fill your case with shiny lights and call your forum friends in and vote for you" contest. I spent many a night on what I'd call a real project of an awesome machine AND hard manual work in a decent mod, and didn't get a stinking vote.

Now, yours is more of a mod than mine...but, not to discourage...I'll bet you won't win with that awesome mod due to some shifty voting routine. (the last winner was decided by votes from dude having his friends from his home country join the forum just to vote, and the runner up prize was a moderator of the forum...total crap.)

SOrry to drag down your thread...but I really think it's good work! Hey, we're looking to buy a printer at work. They've slatted $30,000 or something (with maintenance and all that)...build me two??? LOL! (we'll never work if we had those!)

Post subject: At $15K a pop, maybe we should talk...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:26 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

....yeah....build a couple of them. Well, it would be easier now that I figured out how to make it work. If I didn't have a good job right now, I might consider starting up a business. Problem is, I would not even come close to making the same money I am making now. "Big Al's Computers" is just a dream I have - a more realistic dream than some of the other ones I've had.

Regarding the holiday contest at the Coolermaster forums, that's too bad if what you say is 100% accurate. I hope it's not that bad. I'm a firm believer that those associated with the site should not participate in the contests. I also believe contests should finish on the date they were scheduled to be finished. Extensions give you the impression that they just want to get more people to join the forums.

Anyway, we'll see who wins. I'm so happy with the ROTM selection that nothing is gonna get me upset for at least a few weeks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:42 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Excellent work Al.....You deserve the "Geek Of The Year Award"!!! The Lumin disk was the right touch too (gotta get me one, lol). BTW I was really impressed with the pdf. I think you put more work into that, then I did on my first computer build! :P

Fold Until A Cure

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Brvhrt - I appreciate the complements. I started the PDF file as a design idea document, and as I progressed through the build, I did some updates. This took some of the load off for the end product, but I still spent a bunch of time on it. The biggest hassle was trying to use MSWord Wordart. It looked great, and uploaded to the server just fine, but downloads croaked, and images didn't come with the text. It took some time to figure out it was the Wordart causing the problem. Everyday I learn something.... :?

The good folks at Maximum PC sent me a surprise today - some goodies, including a cool Maximum Reader Guy T-shirt and some of the coveted "Kick Ass Award" stickers. I put one of the stickers on the "printer-to-PC" machine, just under the top cover. Very cool...er....sweet.

Thanks Maximum PC!

:-D

Also, check out a few updates on the "printer-to-computer-deja-vu" machine. I cleaned up the wiring mess behind the glass-top tables, by covering them up with white poster board (six sheets). This was a cheap and (in my opinion) good looking solution. And that Darth Vader sticker? I couldn't resist it......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:56 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Can it print, too? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:12 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

We covered that above :roll: But anywho nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:51 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

gamerfreak wrote:
We covered that above :roll:

:roll: