Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: $199.99 GeForce 6800-After Rebates. It's back!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:25 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

For those who want a good card and are on a budget. This is for tomorrow Sunday December 12, 2004, at your local CompUSA store near you.

Last edited by dob1224 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:12 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

hmmm
Interesting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:40 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Good find dob...if you run across any more, throw 'em in the Holiday sticky at the top of the forum :D :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

So do you guys recommend PNY as a video card maker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:02 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

almost all nvidia card companies are pretty much equal, they all use the reference design for their cards, the only variation really is whether a company ocs their cards out of the box and what cooling apparatus they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:12 am 
Northwood
Northwood

i work at compusa so im debating on it. pretty good deal though fo for a good card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:10 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

athlon11 wrote:
almost all nvidia card companies are pretty much equal, they all use the reference design for their cards, the only variation really is whether a company ocs their cards out of the box and what cooling apparatus they use.

They may all be the same as far reference design, but with the way the Commport (Max PC's previous message board) denounced powercolor video cards, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm not speaking from experience, jus from what I've heard which leads me to believe that not all video card companies build video cards the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:09 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

dapancho wrote:
athlon11 wrote:

They may all be the same as far reference design, but with the way the Commport (Max PC's previous message board) denounced powercolor video cards, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm not speaking from experience, jus from what I've heard which leads me to believe that not all video card companies build video cards the same.

1) Powercolor is a whole other topic.
2) Powercolor does not make nVidia cards.
3) Athlon11 said "almost all nvidia card companies are pretty much equal"
4) He is correct, especially with the specific cards being discussed in this thread, and the key use of the words "almost" and "pretty much". Differences amount to overclocking potential, noise, temperature, bundles, and price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:44 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Just got back from CompUsa and of course they were out of the card. I felt like a little kid that couldnt get his new toy :cry: BUT I did pre-pay for it and still got the rebates cuz I traveled 70miles one way. Should be in Tues!! Merry Christmas to MEEEEEEEEEEE!! Ill let ya know what I think about PNY later this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

PaulZo wrote:
Just got back from CompUsa and of course they were out of the card. I felt like a little kid that couldnt get his new toy :cry: BUT I did pre-pay for it and still got the rebates cuz I traveled 70miles one way. Should be in Tues!! Merry Christmas to MEEEEEEEEEEE!! Ill let ya know what I think about PNY later this week.

at least your getting it, and where di you get that folding banner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:04 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

athlon11 wrote:
PaulZo wrote:

at least your getting it, and where di you get that folding banner?

Yeah Im itching to see what it will do. Scan the folding folder here and you will see the code he gave me for the banner. Just replace my name with yours. I forgot who gave it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:59 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:
4) He is correct, especially with the specific cards being discussed in this thread, and the key use of the words "almost" and "pretty much". Differences amount to overclocking potential, noise, temperature, bundles, and price.

1) While powercolor is another topic, it doesn't make other video card manufacturers imune from making shitty cards irrelevant of what chipset they use.
2) That's beside the point. Powercolor was just an example.
3) Great. Again, I was just using powercolor as an example. It doesn't matter if they don't make nvidia cards.
4) That's why I asked about PNY, the only card being discussed in this thread. Based on the info on this thread, I don't know the quality of their cards. For all I know they could be on par with powercolor which is why I asked if anybody here recommends them. You can't really base the quality of a video card on the chipset it sports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:11 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

dapancho wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

1) While powercolor is another topic, it doesn't make other video card manufacturers imune from making shitty cards irrelevant of what chipset they use.
2) That's beside the point. Powercolor was just an example.
3) Great. Again, I was just using powercolor as an example. It doesn't matter if they don't make nvidia cards.
4) That's why I asked about PNY, the only card being discussed in this thread. Based on the info on this thread, I don't know the quality of their cards. For all I know they could be on par with powercolor which is why I asked if anybody here recommends them. You can't really base the quality of a video card on the chipset it sports.

1) I didn't claim it did. However, Powercolor is in a class of it's own and there is NO other video card company that gets trashed as much as they do.
2) That IS the point, as Athlon was commenting on NVIDIA cards, and Powercolor doesn't produce them.
3) Again, it matters, as Powercolor (as stated above) is in a class of it's own.
4) Well now you have your answer. No single point should be taken on their own, but as a whole. 1-3 would make more sense if you tie them (as it was intended) with #4, as #4 puts 1-3 into perspective and addresses ALL of your concerns regarding each point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:

1) I didn't claim it did. However, Powercolor is in a class of it's own and there is NO other video card company that gets trashed as much as they do.
2) That IS the point, as Athlon was commenting on NVIDIA cards, and Powercolor doesn't produce them.
3) Again, it matters, as Powercolor (as stated above) is in a class of it's own.
4) Well now you have your answer. No single point should be taken on their own, but as a whole. 1-3 would make more sense if you tie them (as it was intended) with #4, as #4 puts 1-3 into perspective and addresses ALL of your concerns regarding each point.

Ok...thanks for your reply.