Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BFG 6800 Ultra OC Quirky Settings, What The Madness
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:12 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I've been battling with my BFG 6800 Ultra OC since early yesterday and was just about ready to concede that the card was faulty. I was experiencing stuttering and freezing within 10-30 seconds of running just about any game and 3dMark05 was near impossible to complete. This was in addition to battling the power requirements and trying to get it enough juice and the various driver versions.

On a last attempt at resolving the issue before requesting an RMA, I downloaded and applied Coolbit2's registry settings to give me access to the core clock and memory. For those unfamiliar with the proper settings:

6800 Ultra Reference
Core Clock = 400MHz
Memory = 1000MHz

BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Core Clock = 425MHz
Memory = 1100MHz

My settings you ask? The core was set at 454MHz and the memory at 1180MHz. Since I 'underclocked' the defaults, all seems to be well and I'm currently enjoying Far Cry.

Let this thread serve as a potential troubleshooting step for those, like me, read numerous unsuccessful suggestions on other sites (turn off fast writes, try a specific driver, etc). Also, if anyone has any idea why the card would default to above the already OC'd spec, I'd be very interested in hearing this. I find it very disheartening that a $500+ video card would require a registry tweak and manually adjusting speeds in order to get it to function.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

^
Thank you VERY much One. I am getting ready to purchase that card and will definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) check to make sure mine is set to proper clock speeds.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: BFG 6800 Ultra OC Quirky Settings, What The Madness
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

One4yu2c wrote:
I've been battling with my BFG 6800 Ultra OC since early yesterday and was just about ready to concede that the card was faulty. I was experiencing stuttering and freezing within 10-30 seconds of running just about any game and 3dMark05 was near impossible to complete. This was in addition to battling the power requirements and trying to get it enough juice and the various driver versions.

On a last attempt at resolving the issue before requesting an RMA, I downloaded and applied Coolbit2's registry settings to give me access to the core clock and memory. For those unfamiliar with the proper settings:

6800 Ultra Reference
Core Clock = 400MHz
Memory = 1000MHz

BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Core Clock = 425MHz
Memory = 1100MHz

My settings you ask? The core was set at 454MHz and the memory at 1180MHz. Since I 'underclocked' the defaults, all seems to be well and I'm currently enjoying Far Cry.

Let this thread serve as a potential troubleshooting step for those, like me, read numerous unsuccessful suggestions on other sites (turn off fast writes, try a specific driver, etc). Also, if anyone has any idea why the card would default to above the already OC'd spec, I'd be very interested in hearing this. I find it very disheartening that a $500+ video card would require a registry tweak and manually adjusting speeds in order to get it to function.

So, how has coolbits treated you? I'm just curious as I was going to try and take a stab at it also.

Thanks. :)

Post subject: Re: BFG 6800 Ultra OC Quirky Settings, What The Madness
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

One4yu2c wrote:

6800 Ultra Reference
Core Clock = 400MHz
Memory = 1000MHz

BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Core Clock = 425MHz
Memory = 1100MHz

So, how has coolbits treated you? I'm just curious as I was going to try and take a stab at it also.

Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:33 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Coolbits2 has treated me fine. The only settings I've manipulated were the frequencies and in that regard, it saved me from an RMA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:24 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

how exactly do you find out what the clock/memory speed is supposed to be at normally (un OCed)? I've got a Verto GeForce FX 5500 that runs pretty slow and should work better than it is. It may be a proc bottleneck, but this thread got me thinkin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:31 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
how exactly do you find out what the clock/memory speed is supposed to be at normally (un OCed)? I've got a Verto GeForce FX 5500 that runs pretty slow and should work better than it is. It may be a proc bottleneck, but this thread got me thinkin...

270/400
PNY Verto 5500 Specs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:21 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The 6800 Ultra's reference is 400/1100, the GT's memory is 1000. BFG just OC'd the core clock by 25mhz more in their 6800 line of cards but not the memory. I'd say RMA the card if you had to underclock your Ultra to GT's specs. Maybe is heat problems. I have my PNY running at ultra's specs of 400/1100 from the reference 350/1000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:37 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Whoops, my mistake, you are indeed correct on the reference speed (1100).

I didn't take mine down to 1000, I took it down from 1180 to 1100 - basically, I put the core and memory at BFG's OC specs and since doing that, all has been working fine.

Why it defaults itself to 454 and 1180, I have no idea. Might be a quirk with the motherboard. If I get enough gumption, I'll test the card in another system and see what it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:53 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

i have my bfg gt running at 400/1100 with coolbits. I read about it here tried it and i love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:00 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

If you're comfortable with the risks involved, you should see if it's stable at 425 and you'll have an Ultra on your hands.