Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: which mobo?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:10 am 

Since I fried mobo asus p4p800dlx (may she rest in peace) I needs another. Which would be your choice and why?

Abit IC-7max
Ass'us P4C800-E dlx
Chaintech 9CJS Zenith

Much thanks in advance. Btw: I dont want to wait for pci express or btx. I want something now that I can OC the living crao out of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:22 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Is there any reason you want to go with Intel?

Something you may want to consider is that Intel is going out of it's way to stop people from overclocking their chips. Not to mention, most of the Intel chips are about 75-100 dollars more expensive than equivelant AMD chips.

Take the AMD Barton 2500+ mobile for example. It runs $88 at Newegg.

That proc will overclock to 3200+ speeds on air, and comes unlocked by default. Now, take a 3.2ghz Intel chip. That's gonna run you $266, and you probably wouldn't notice and difference vs. the AMD chip.

BTW, I like my Abit NF7-S, and I hear the ASUS A7N8x-E Delux is pretty good too, for few more bucks.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:02 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Belboz99 wrote:
Is there any reason you want to go with Intel?

His board is fried, he made no mention of the CPU being fried as well. If he's got a P4C and he's into overclocking, it would make little sense to switch when all he needs is a mobo. It's also extremely satisfying to heavily OC the fsb. I've ran a Barton 2500+ at 3200+, and while I can't knock the setup (it was very capable), I've had my 2.4C at 3.4 and it's been much more personally satisfying. I'm also loving HT.

I'm still known to recommend the dead socket Barton setup based on price/performance, but in this case it would make little 'cents.'

Post subject: Re: which mobo?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:08 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

themiz4jc wrote:
Since I fried mobo asus p4p800dlx (may she rest in peace) I needs another. Which would be your choice and why?
Abit IC-7max
Ass'us P4C800-E dlx
Chaintech 9CJS Zenith
I want something now that I can OC the living crao out of.

The Abit IC7 MaxIII is the top dawg in Canterwood chipsets, but at $185 it's a pricey backbone. The Asus P4C800-E dlx is a close second IMO, but pricewise I would strongly consider the Abit Max II ($130). ANY of those boards are going to give you great overclocking results, provided you have capable RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:05 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I would vote for the IC7 Max3. I've had one for several months now and I love it. My reasons:
Performance is rock solid.
Lots of BIOS options.
Came with a great retail package.
OTES technology is cool.
For a mobo, it's nice to look at.

Hope that helps some :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:15 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

doesnt the Zenith come with a remote?

if so, get that one...remotes are cool

i think it also got BEST OF in MaxPC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:01 pm 

of all the boards i have messed with i have found that MSI seems to make the best board out there....dont know exactly what your looking for but ive done ASUS and ABIT, and msi kicks their tail in reliability and looks, esp. with a clear window in the side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

thats a tossup between:
Ass'us P4C800-E dlx
Chaintech 9CJS Zenith
i am a die hard asus fan all motherboards (-2) hhave been asusbut the Chaintech is one i would get if not asus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:04 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I can't believe people are recommending mobos over the MaxIII based on factors besides price. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:36 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Belboz99 wrote:
Something you may want to consider is that Intel is going out of it's way to stop people from overclocking their chips.

Totally untrue. The main reason this was ever brought to light is on the new 915's and 925's with PCIE slots. The overclocking of the FSB effects the PCIE bus and also keeps users and builders from from anticipating upcoming features like DDR2-667 and FSB 1066. So, it's the reasoning why Intel has KINDA locked it down.

The lock basically keeps the FSB from locking at any speed over the 10% threshold. Asus and Gigabyte have already dealt with this by passing control of the PLL (which is doing the locking) to the BIOS. I'm sure the other big board makers will follow suit. No one want a board that's locked. (I see Abit's AA8 is built to clock with the "Strips" around the socket back again, and I read a review of the board saying it did in fact OC)

But it doesn't matter on an SKT478 board which he's aiming for. Intel NEVER locked ANYTHING on these. Quoting rumors is a bad thing to base things on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:54 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

HARRYMOOSE wrote:
of all the boards i have messed with i have found that MSI seems to make the best board out there....dont know exactly what your looking for but ive done ASUS and ABIT, and msi kicks their tail in reliability and looks, esp. with a clear window in the side

WTF!? You can't base a board by the way it looks. "Oh! It's red. That means it's fast. And those flashing lights on the pink AGP slot sure do help, yo"

People that know performance drool when you lift the rear hatch of a Ferrari. Not because they add "BLING" (OMG, I said it!), but because the damn thing runs like a mutha! So...

HARRYMOOSE wrote:
msi kicks their tail in reliability...

What bench marks are YOU looking at? Another poser comming in quoting what they read in a magazine or a buddy told them because they know the sales rep at CompUSA...I can only assume. A 2.8 running at 3.4 (and recently at 3.6) STABLE is nothing to chuckle at. One4yu2c can also attest to a 2.4C doing the same type of clock increase.

But over the years, ASUS alone has been the king of stability dating as far back as I can remember at least. Abit is another board that will not let any body down. MSI is still selling boards with cheapo capacitors that stand a great chance of popping, even though they had an onslaught of RMA's because of it. Abit is now using Japanese made Caps that are known to be superior to the iffy Tawanese parts. I could go on...

but if you've used a decent board or have actually had an Asus or Abit board, you wouldn't be making such bold statements like that. MSI is not a horrible board, so don't take it like I'm raking them over the coals. But your post is so off based that I have to go puke...excuse me while I do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:55 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

One4yu2c wrote:
I can't believe people are recommending mobos over the MaxIII based on factors besides price. :roll:

Concerning isn't it?

LoL..."get that one...remotes are cool"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:01 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

BiggPa wrote:

I won't flame you for your advice being based on a remote (I have 3 fregg'n remotes and use none). Hell, I won't even flame you! How's that sound? Cool...

But it was only "best of" because they failed to test anything else. Chams had a thread over at the comport on what MPC should fix. I brought this oversight up and it was immedietly fixed in the last issue. They took these boards for granted somehow. If you'll notice, they now give the Abit IC7 Max3 credit where it's due.

If you only review Voltswagens, then the Voltswagen always wins:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:52 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
But your post is so off based that I have to go puke...excuse me while I do so.

Thank you for joining this thread! I'm simply blown away by some of the advice given here and there, and there's no way for a newB to know if my advice is valid or not compared to the rest of posts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:17 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
A 2.8 running at 3.4 (and recently at 3.6) STABLE is nothing to chuckle at. One4yu2c can also attest to a 2.4C doing the same type of clock increase.

Ah yes, I never tire of posting this :lol: Not bad, considering that Intel is evidently notorious for preventing OCing...

click:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:48 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

HEY! I have that desktop! LOL...I think Colby was linked up to it.

Oh, and just because you brought it up, is there a benchmark that you and I can run to compare the aid you may be getting from the higher FSB with the same relative speed? All I have is SystemMark04 and SiSoft Sandra. I'd love to have something in print that shows your advantage for future references.

I'm just curious because I'm going to be OC'ing a 550 and would like some "standards" at that time, and you already have a 2.4C ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:55 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
Oh, and just because you brought it up, is there a benchmark that you and I can run to compare the aid you may be getting from the higher FSB with the same relative speed? All I have is SystemMark04 and SiSoft Sandra.

The memory bandwidth benchmark in Sandra is how I measure my gains when overclocking/tweaking. It's included in that picture I attached if you want to give it a gander.

If there's something else you'd like to run, I'll see if I have it or can get it. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir on this, but keep in mind that it should be taken with a grain of salt as our chipset will be different, as well as hard drive and a host of other components that affect benchmarking results. Also, when switching to 5:4 as I did to reach 3.4GHz, the i865's PAT trick ("Memory Acceleration Mode") is basically rendered moot - that's a factor when comparing to a stock chip on an i875 mobo.

All minor quibbles though, I'll be happy to benchmark whatever I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:06 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Chumly wrote:
BiggPa wrote:

I won't flame you for your advice being based on a remote (I have 3 fregg'n remotes and use none). Hell, I won't even flame you! How's that sound? Cool...

But it was only "best of" because they failed to test anything else. Chams had a thread over at the comport on what MPC should fix. I brought this oversight up and it was immedietly fixed in the last issue. They took these boards for granted somehow. If you'll notice, they now give the Abit IC7 Max3 credit where it's due.

If you only review Voltswagens, then the Voltswagen always wins:p

fair enough..i just remember that from the issue when i was researching for my P4 mobo...ended up getting ABIT IC-7 - love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:00 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

I liked the Abit IC-7 boards. Used one for a friends splurge 2k machine. Nice bundle with it. Rounded cables, sata cables/ide-2-sata convertors work nice. Very worth it for the price. Plus it has oooodles of overclocking options. Only thing I disliked was the north-bridge heatsink. The corner hooks broke off and I sent it back to newegg. But they sent me a new one quick.

I would go with that.

I got an AMD system and have the NF7-S board and I like it alot. And previous board I had was a KR7A-R board from abit. They make good quaility boards with lots of options to play with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:43 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Chumly,

Your post above:

Quote:

Can you recall in what issue of MaxPC that this review appeared? I recall it included the Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, and I think the Abit IC7 Max3 as well... there was an Asus board also, but I can't remember which one it was. Was it the P4C800?

I've got probably five years of back issues laying around the house here, but this specific one... POOF. I bet one of the kids tossed it... along with my tv remote. :evil: