Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Failed to install and or boot from SSD
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:02 pm 

Hi,

I was attempting to install windows 7 and I am getting an error. I did the following prior to obtaining this error:
-Boot from window 7 cd
-When prompt for install location, I click on drive options, deleted all previous partitions.
-Allocated space for new partition.
-Formatted
- Error msg at bottom of window "Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1. (show details).
-Details = Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controllers is enabled in the computers BIOS menu.
-I reboot,press F2 and notice that under IDE0 and IDE1 there is nothing hard drives listed.

Previous history on working SSD:
-Previously had Ubuntu install, attempted to install XP. Got blue screen. Now I cannot install XP or W7. I can successfully install Ubuntu but when I restart computer after install, I get the following msg:
No bootable device: insert boot disk and press any key.

Hardware:
- Aspire 4810T laptop
- Patriot SSD SATA 64GB
- CPU Genuine Intel SU4100

Software:
-BIOS version: V1.30

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:38 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

The ssd should be listed under SATA not IDE.

Use the drives utility to partition and format the drive before you try to boot to the windows disk.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

try running the SATA in AHCI mode instead of IDE mode if your laptop will let you do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:39 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Spartacus wrote:
try running the SATA in AHCI mode instead of IDE mode if your laptop will let you do that.

This is a very good piece of advice. Although, the few SSD's I've worked with, including my own OCZ Vertex Turbo, allow you to boot and install in IDE mode, yours may not. So I would try that first.

Secondly, to get the alignment set correctly on the SSD, you want to have a naked drive, IE, one with no MBR, no partition tables. You simply put the Win7 OS disk into your computer and boot from the disk. Then, without setting up any partition tables or anything, just hit Enter to set up Windows on that disk. You can try partitioning the disk after the Windows install, but I'm finding that SSD's and Windows often choke when installed on manufactured computers if you try to set partitions. I'm not sure why either because really, if you get it showing in BIOS under SATA-ACHI devices, it shouldn't care beyond that.

As mentioned, you may need to get the disk utilities from Patriot to reset the SSD. Also, make SURE you update any drive firmware before you install the OS. Most Firmware updates kill the data tables and you REALLY want to use the latest firmware for an SSD right now.

And you're probably already doing this, but make sure the computer is plugged in while installing the OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:07 pm 

Ok, so I read everyone's post and sat down for a bit and wrote down a few methods to try out to get this SSD working again. I First tried to clear the disk using "disk part" from the W7 dvd and cleaned the disk. Once I did that, i rebooted into BIOS made sure SATA was set to AHCI and it was. I rebooted and launched the W7 dvd. I was receiving a similar error.

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the log files fore more information."

I then rebooted back into BIOS and changed SATA from AHCI to IDE. I saved and rebooted back into BIOS. When I did this, on the Main BIOS screen title Information, I was now able to see my SSD under IDE0. Something weird going on with this laptop because my CD/DVD: information came back as well. I am now in the process of installing W7.

One question that I have is, will I have any downgrades in performance by running the SATA as IDE vs AHCI?

Thanks