Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intel: Find foot, point gun. Shoot.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:39 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Intel: Find foot, point gun. Shoot.

It's amazing how a company with the combined creative talents of Intel could shoot itself in the foot so badly and, apparently, so easily. By over-lapping older Northwood and new Prescott CPU speeds (3GHz-3.4GHz), Intel has created a huge indecision tree. The older processors are actually slightly faster than the newer ones, although the performance delta appears to shrink at the high end of their comparative speeds (and, theoretically, the Prescotts should start to come out ahead beyond 3.4GHz --if there were Northwoods at higher speeds. There aren't.)

In the meantime I've seen vendors using 3GHz Prescott systems as their mainstream computers. Big mistake. Anything less than 3.4GHz (and possibly 3.4GHz itself) should be consigned to entry level where the prices are low enough to at least provide some meager incentive to buy them. Personally, if I was in the market to get a new computer now I'd try to weasel out of that market for a while longer until this whole Prescott v. Northwood thing shakes out.
http://www.aliceandbill.com/2004/07/Intel-find-foot-point-gun-shoot.html
From Bill O'Brien, aliceandbill.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:52 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Totally Agree. Prescotts should outrun northwoods once they've hit 3.8ghz or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

And they do;) Clocking the P4 550 up to 4G seems to let this thing just begin to breath. And it's power is under control (somewhat) with the E0 stepping. And on top of this, the new ones have an even better hyperthreading workover. It's been said that the Prescotts won't be worth the silicon they're built on until around the 4G mark, and I still feel this holds true. They love clock-cycles.

It's the same with every Intel release, so none of this is new really. Remember the P4's release? Totally junk procs. Then the Northwood was released and it seemed to show what the Netburst could really do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:45 pm 
I miss my [Ch]ams!
I miss my [Ch]ams!

This is nothing new for Intel... the same thing happened when P4 was introduced and the fastest PIIIs were beating it in many benchmarks.

While Prescott has plenty of headroom (once heat issues are ironed out), the eventual key to its success will be low cost to manufacture yet very good performance for the maintream/ low end segment.

GameGirl wrote:
In the meantime I've seen vendors using 3GHz Prescott systems as their mainstream computers. Big mistake.

Actually, it's a smart move considering the price difference.

Prescott in its current speed and packaging won't win the high-end market, but that's not where the big bucks are anyway. For the high-end, Prescott is a mere interim solution, leaving resources open to expand on dual cpu designs as well as promoting desktop versions of Dothan.

In meantime, Prescott architechture will continue to see a nice benchmark advantage in non-branchy applications such as digital encoding, thanks to its ability to run at higher clocks than AMD's competing units. This may change once the world switches to 64-bits, but until that time, users who do mostly video or audio encoding won't be disappointed by Prescott. To please those few loyal hard-core, die-hard Intel gamers, Intel will probably make an Extreme Edition Prescott with 2MB (or more) L2 cache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:57 pm 
I miss my [Ch]ams!
I miss my [Ch]ams!

Uh, hey Alice... you are actually reading our comments, right? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:11 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
alicve and bill my posterior, they dont even write the colum anymore, if you read it everything is third person not a word written as if by "alice or bill" im so tired of it, since it was about the only reason to read the mag anyway, im ready to quit buying it. and i hope they do read it as i have been wanting to emain just that :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:49 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

what is that alice and bill crap anyway? all of a sudden that GameGirl has posted 5 of their articles out of nowhere, and i dont know who they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:56 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Try this:

Click the giant "About Alice & Bill" link on the right side ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:58 pm 
I miss my [Ch]ams!
I miss my [Ch]ams!

Alice Hill, as the custom rank states, is a contributing writer to MPC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:06 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

ChamsalotTMP wrote:
Alice Hill, as the custom rank states, is a contributing writer to MPC.
ok cool, i dont think ive ever seen one of her columns in maxpc but ill have to look for her now.

Post subject: Who are Alice and Bill?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:39 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
alicve and bill my posterior, they dont even write the colum anymore, if you read it everything is third person not a word written as if by "alice or bill" im so tired of it, since it was about the only reason to read the mag anyway, im ready to quit buying it. and i hope they do read it as i have been wanting to emain just that :roll:

Hey, let me jump in here. I am Alice Hill of Alice and Bill, the writers of the Hard Edge Tech column on Computer Shopper (12 years this month!) We were made to write in third person by our editor when the column started, and while it is weird to do, that's just how they wanted it and they pay our bills, if you know what I mean.

We launched aliceandbill.com as a way for Hard Edge readers to find us online, since Shopper wouldn't put up a page for us. We pay for it ourselves and accept no ads, and we write in first person! It's just a way to have contact every day vs. once a month in print.

I got involved with Maximum PC when George Jones from my old CNET days (I used to be in charge of CNET.com and launched Gamcenter.com back in the day) became Editor in Chief of Max PC. I think the magazine is just what is needed today, and I love hardware, so I started doing some pieces like the one on how Google works and VoIP. Anyway, I love the message board, and I do read everything.

I posted some stuff from our site, and left the link to each item so you would know were were legit and some some random cranks. Well, ok, maybe we can be random and cranky, but you get the idea. I also want to convince Bill to hang out here!
--Alice
alice@aliceandbill.com

Post subject: Re: Who are Alice and Bill?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:04 am 
Team Member
Team Member

GameGirl wrote:
Hey, let me jump in here. I am Alice Hill of Alice and Bill, the writers of the Hard Edge Tech column on Computer Shopper (12 years this month!) We were made to write in third person by our editor when the column started, and while it is weird to do, that's just how they wanted it and they pay our bills, if you know what I mean.

We launched aliceandbill.com as a way for Hard Edge readers to find us online, since Shopper wouldn't put up a page for us. We pay for it ourselves and accept no ads, and we write in first person! It's just a way to have contact every day vs. once a month in print.

I got involved with Maximum PC when George Jones from my old CNET days (I used to be in charge of CNET.com and launched Gamcenter.com back in the day) became Editor in Chief of Max PC. I think the magazine is just what is needed today, and I love hardware, so I started doing some pieces like the one on how Google works and VoIP. Anyway, I love the message board, and I do read everything.

I posted some stuff from our site, and left the link to each item so you would know were were legit and some some random cranks. Well, ok, maybe we can be random and cranky, but you get the idea. I also want to convince Bill to hang out here!
--Alice
alice@aliceandbill.com

I miss Gamecenter, it was so much better than gamespot...

although gamespot has improved a bit lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:08 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I miss it too! George helped launch it, so MaxPC is in good hands.
--Alice

Post subject: Re: Who are Alice and Bill?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

GameGirl wrote:
And on top of that, you've gave us some nice topics to discuss rather than the boring/reduntant threads we've been trapped in :D

Will doom3 run on my rig?/Will you build my system?/etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:41 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I just ordered a new PC for Doom 3. It better work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

*tsk tsk*

for shame...

and if it can run on my laptop, it'll probably run on computers of higher caliber. ;]