Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: USB Windows
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Can I make a USB stick a bootable device to install Windows if I only have a Win Vista disk and a Win 7 upgrade disk???

Post subject: Re: USB Windows
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can do it for one, but not both.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:44 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I am using an 8gig usb stick not a 4gig stick. Is it possible to put BOTH on the usb stick?? I've only read articles on just Win 7 on a usb stick but hey......maybe someone here could be the first to discover you can use Win Vista AND Win 7 upgrade on a usb stick...?!?!

I mean......you load up Vista from the usb stick then when you are IN Vista, couldn't you just find and run the upgrade from the same usb stick??????

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://blog.superuser.com/2011/12/22/ma ... ash-drive/

Decided "eh, why the hell not?" and searched for it. Anyway, if you're wanting something that installs Vista THEN immediately upgrades to 7, no, that's not going to work. The upgrade process has to happen when you boot into the OS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I run two SSD's, one for my C drive that only has Win 7 on it and the other SSD has all my programs installed/running on it. Then I have 3 mechanical drives as pure slaves.

I have Win 7 installed on BOTH SSD's just in case one craps out I never miss a beat. My pc starts up in Safe Mode and displays both OS's and allows me to choose which one I want to boot into. The one I want to boot to is always on top of the list so I don't have to do anything and in 5 seconds, the correct SSD's Win 7 boots up.

What I am getting at is can I not set up my USB stick to do the same thing?? Give myself a choice on which install I want to run?? I can do it with Windows 7 loaded on two different SSD's and it boots just fine after I select the Win 7/SSD I want.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:32 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Just had an idea........

.....how about I install Windows Vista on one USB stick and Windows 7 Upgrade on another USB stick???????

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:47 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Found this file WinToFlash which was created just for this purpose. It formats the USB stick and not only transfers the Windows files from the disc but insures the USB is bootable.

http://wintoflash.com/download/version-0-8-0000/http-4/

If I did this for both the Win Vista DVD and the Win 7 Upgrade DVD......I can't imagine everything not working just fine. Instead of two bootable DVDs, you end up with two bootable USBs. I just wish there was at least one person out there that could verify this works. Is there any reason why it would NOT work????

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Are you just going to end up installing Windows 7? If you are I would just make a bootable Windows 7 install and do the registry workaround.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:58 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

sure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:45 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks a lot guys. Lots of great reading there. It appears I may be able to after all install both the Win Vista AND the Win 7 upgrade on one USB stick.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well, I took my 8gig usb stick and turned it into a hard drive or what the pc perceives as a hard drive. Bootable hard drive. Then I transferred the iso from Vista AND Win 7 Upgrade onto the usb stick.

I left the files for Vista on the usb and the files for Win 7 in a folder. That way I am hoping when I go into BIOS and make it boot to the usb, it will automatically begin to load Win Vista. When that is thru, I can start Win Vista and while in Win Vista I can go to the Win 7 Upgrade folder in the usb and upgrad to Win 7. Should this work? Will I have any problems?