Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I replace processor and Ram without reinstalling OS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:49 am 

Have machine running windows 7 home premium. Processor is an Intel core2 duo. I think its an 8400 @ 3GHZ. Only 4 GB of ram. This computer is running very slow and I wanted to speed it up.

A little background: The machine is being used for accounting, quikbooks and excel. When quikbooks and IE are open computer comes to a halt, processor load at 30-70% and physical memory peaks at 4GB.

My question is will Windows boot if I replace the processor and ram. I know that windows takes a system image to verify at boot. Can anyone tell me if replacing this hardware will cause an issue with the OS loading. If so what steps would you recommend taking after physical install. I have no software available on machine and probobly a system image and backup on separate partition, since it's a complete Dell Studio Slim 5405

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Trevor.

Post subject: Re: Can I replace processor and Ram without reinstalling OS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Usually Windows ties itself to the motherboard, so upgrading either shouldn't trigger reactivation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 am 

Thank you for your reply Northwood, Only one way to find out for sure. I feel much more comfortable about dropping the 300$ though.
Thanks, Trevor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:41 am 

trevor ad wrote:
Have machine running windows 7 home premium. Processor is an Intel core2 duo. I think its an 8400 @ 3GHZ. Only 4 GB of ram. This computer is running very slow and I wanted to speed it up.

A little background: The machine is being used for accounting, quikbooks and excel. When quikbooks and IE are open computer comes to a halt, processor load at 30-70% and physical memory peaks at 4GB.

My question is will Windows boot if I replace the processor and ram. I know that windows takes a system image to verify at boot. Can anyone tell me if replacing this hardware will cause an issue with the OS loading. If so what steps would you recommend taking after physical install. I have no software available on machine and probobly a system image and backup on separate partition, since it's a complete Dell Studio Slim 5405

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Trevor.

I don't think your going to see a lot of difference in replacing the processor. I think if you add a memory & a SSD drive you will view a noticeable performance. A processor is like in nanoseconds and unless your processing lots of data then I wouldn't go that way. But also adding memory will only help if you your Windows 7 is 64 bit. The 32 bit Windows will only use a little of 3 gb.