Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: black screen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:51 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi! I posted these questions on another forum and got no response, would really appreciate the help! :)

OK, I was playing Crysis 2 and then it froze, a second later the screen went black and the PC wouldn't respond, I had to hold down the power button to shut it off. Any idea why it would do this? Thanks!

Ran Crysis 2 again and... same thing. Not sure if its the spot in the game or what, its where you first enter NY City, I needed to open the security doors and it froze right when I walked up to them and had just started trying to open the door, the first time though it froze after I opened them, I was glancing at a mutated body to the right just after going through. Gonna run Unigine Valley for a while, see what happens. Thanks!

Unigine Valley and Crysis 3 are fine, Unigine showed this...

GPU 1: 91C
GPU 2: 85C
GPU 3: 89C

And on those I got no response, I left Crysis 3 running all night long with my GPU fans on 85% and when I woke up it was frozen. I really need help! Please!

Post subject: Re: black screen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:26 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Is this with the 660's or 580's? You could be running out of power? 850W is close the the threshold.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey! Thanks for the response! I am running 3 3GB GTX 580's in Tri SLI with a 1200W RaidMax Gold Certified PSU, same as the one in the link below, except that one is bronze certified, it says in the description it is capable off Tri SLI'ing 3 GTX 480/580 GPU's while keeping perfect system stability.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817152045
I Googled the problem before I made the post, was hoping some people here could give me some additional ideas to try. Right now I am thinking it's a heat issue, so what would you do in my case, you have 3 3GB GTX 580's in SLI and they are getting to hot, what would you do? Also can someone help me with a Liquid cooling setup? Basically what parts should I buy and how much would it cost for a good set up?

Thanks! :)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Desktop PC (Built it myself :) )

i7 3930K 3.2GHZ

1X EVGA GTX 580 3GB (3072MB), 2X ZOTAC GTX 580 3GB (3072MB), Tri SLI

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

24GB DDR3 Quad Channel

1200W Raidmax PSU 80 Plus Gold

1TB Western Digital Caviar

120GB OCZ Vertex IV Boot Drive

CM Storm ATX Full Tower Case

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (with ROG theme)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Laptop / M11x R3

M11x R3 (11")

i5 2537M 1.4GHZ Dual core

1GB (1024MB) GT 540M

500GB 7200RPM HDD

4GB DDR3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

IMHO i would ditch one of the 580's you only see about negligible game in frame rate with 3-way slightly over 2-way SLI. If you want to be sure it's a heat problem which I suspect with one card running at 91°C. Remove the side and place a house fan in front and see what happens when you game. If the black screen goes away you have a thermal issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:33 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I would rather not ditch a 580, can I get a complete liquid cooling set up for them for about $200-$300? Or whats the best aftermarket heatsink? Something like the ACX heatsink would be cool if I can buy just the heatsink and if it would fit, http://www.evga.com/articles/00746/#2784, but otherwise I'm thinking something like this, http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/disco ... L=1&c=2182 , but I heard it takes three slots and I'd prefer just 2 as I don't see how that would work in Tri SLI. Also would replacing the heatsink void my warranty?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Modifying it can break the warranty in most situations, since you are already having blackout issues it may be wise to send it in for it to be repaired before you continue with any modifications, once its starts hitting that 90C+ threshold you can start getting items on the board damaged. This model is designed to go up to 97C before dialing things down to bring it back within operating temperature range, So... you had to have been far above 91C for a while if its black screening around 91C. They will probably have to replace it, luckily if its under warranty, they will take care of it!

(just so im clear on the 97C, if indeed the fans were clogged and whatnot, or the heatsink was no longer thermally conducting correctly, even with the card dialing down items it could still get hotter and hotter)
It could be that the driver part controls the clocks could be not 100% functional so to be absolutely sure its the card, try updating the drivers, if you have the same issue its the card, get er fixed yo!