Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Public Service Announcement - SCAM Alert...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:23 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

TO: Users looking for a deal

RE: Possible scams via private message (PM), email, and instant messaging

Pay attention - if you're posting about potential hardware configurations or components you plan to buy, be on the lookout for PMs, emails, or instant messages from other users looking to sell their goods. Many people are aware of this tactic, but for those that aren't, this is a common scam with temptations of prices too good to be true. If you are contacted in such a manner, you are advised to ignore it. Some telltale signs that a deal is a scam:
  • You are contacted. Period. Buying/selling is not allowed on this forum. Beyond that however, a good sign that someone is attempting to scam you is that they contacted you.
  • Related to number 1 above, if it's a new member that contacted you (particularly with a low or no post count), chances are high they opened up an account for this sole purpose.
  • If the price is too good to be true, than it isn't true. Ask yourself why a user would choose to sell you a 4800+ X2 valued at $799 for $600. If it was a legitimate item, it could fetch much more in the marketplace, whether that be EBay or a For Sale forum, etc.
  • If the email address they contacted you from is a free addy (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc), then it can be next to impossible to trace them. More often than not, a scammer will use a free email address rather than their paid ISP's.
  • If the requested payment method is Western Union or cash, then this should raise a big red flag with a skull and crossbones plastered over the front. These transactions carry virtually no protection in the event that a deal goes sour.
  • Let me reiterate #1 - if you've been contacted to buy an item (especially but not exclusively if you've recently posted an interest in said item), then be suspicious.
If you have been scammed, unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do. Prevention is far more effective than damage control. If the latter becomes necessary however, I suggest visiting the following links:

Troll Hunters
IFCC (Internet Fraud Complaint Center
Internet Fraud Watch
USPS Mail Fraud Complaint Form
State Attorney General
Better Business Bureau
See this post --->LINK
In addition, I was contacted by another member that recieved similar emails from this indvidual on the same item as found in that post.

WebRat
Email = webratt@gmail.com
See this thread ----> LINK
For a list of aliases and other information, see this thread ---> LINK
Likes to 'offer' high priced items across a variety of forums, including this one.

Last edited by One4yu2c on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

[add?]

Most of the time legitimate people will refer you to a Newegg or Pricewatch sort, where it is widely used by people. www.Tomsnvidiahut.com wouldnt be a good thing to buy a $500 card from, but www.nvidia.com would.
Also, watch for phishers :mrgreen: Always check the URL of where you are purchasing an item online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:22 am 

whoa thank god you put this up. i was about to buy a dell 2005FPW moniter from that Leakytire because he showed me pictures off it in the box and had a great price of 350US. dam im such a fool. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:09 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Zambini wrote:
[add?]

By all means, anyone should feel free to offer any tips or words of wisdom. The collective experience by those who have been trading for awhile and/or been a victim of a scam can be an invaluable resource for members that are not as net savvy and/or new to the 'game.'

chief wrote:
whoa thank god you put this up. i was about to buy a dell 2005FPW moniter from that Leakytire because he showed me pictures off it in the box and had a great price of 350US. dam im such a fool. LOL

Close one! I'm glad you were able to see this thread before sending out any funds.

On a side note, here are some general tips when purchasing from an online trader. This deviates from the main purpose of this thread, but is still somewhat relevant (some of these overlap with the above):
  • Thoroughly check out a seller's feedback/references. The two most common types are Heatware and EBay.
  • Verify any references provided. It is highly recommended that prior to exchanging funds, you should contact the seller through the provided reference links to verify a seller's identity. A Heatware reference will have an email address listed and an EBay profile has a Contact Member button. It's far to easy to create a username that is either the same or similar to an unrelated member of EBay or Heatware with a high feedback rating and claim to be that person. While there is still the risk of a seller using a hacked account, contacting them through their feedback links should be considered a necessary step.
  • Keep a record of all communication with the seller, including emails, PMs, and instant messaging. In addition, it's a good idea to write down a summary of any phone conversations. Finally, keep a record of any/all aliases used.
  • Exchange contact information BEFORE making a payment. This includes a valid phone number(s) (which you should verify) and a physical address (NOT a P.O. Box). If a seller is unwilling to give out this kind of information, then you should be unwilling to do business with that individual.
  • For your protection, you may also want to request and verify a valid non-free email address from the seller. In the event a deal goes sour, it can helpful to have a seller's ISP information handy if/when it becomes necessary to contact local law enforcement.
  • Never never never send CASH! Sending cash provides you with absolutely no proof of payment whatsoever. There's no reason why a seller shouldn't be able to accept Paypal, money order, cashier's check, or a personal check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:35 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Buyers

Western Union is as dangerous as cash. It is untraceable. Never, EVER EVER send money by Western Union to a stranger. WU is great for sending money to family and friends, but it is inherently insecure. There is no reason .. NONE .. to send money by Western Union to a stranger.

ALWAYS speak to your seller on the phone first. ALWAYS. If they won't give you a phone number .. walk away. If they insist on calling you, walk away. If you have any doubts whatsoever ... walk away.

Credit cards seem safe ... and they can be ... because you can issue a charge back if necessary. However, the ability to process a CC payment is an expensive thing .. most people can't do it. If your seller offers to let you pay by CC, find out why and get all the info regarding their business. Often, they aren't interested in selling you anything ... they just want your CC number.

Insist on tracking and delivery confirmation.

If you are dealing with someone from this forum, ask around. Some of us have been with the MPC forums for years (almost 6 for me) ... we know each other. Otherwise, use the online reputation services as mentioned.

Sellers

Always ensure that your payment has cleared your bank account. Counterfeit money orders are common, and so are fake BidPay 'confirmation' emails. If you are sending an item, do not send it until the money is in bank account.

Important: If your buyer offers to over pay and have you send the balance as part of a gift, it is a scam. If your buyer asks you to ship to Africa or Romania because a family member has a birthday / wedding / funeral there, or are in school ... it is a scam. If your insists on speed, asks you to ship before the payment arrives or *immediately* upon receiving payment ... be wary. This is how they catch people with counterfeit checks / money orders. Printers can do great things these days ... don't trust your own eyes .. take it to the bank.

Insist on tracking and delivery confirmation.

Don't be lazy .. have the item ready to ship when you list it, and ship it as soon as you know you have been paid (as mentioned above). The longer your buyer waits, the more stress they have ... stress is bad. Be nice.

Both

Communicate! Talk to each other. If you have problems, concerns, worries .. air 'em out. Communication is the key to every successful relationship, and this includes trading and business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

And if a regular poster scams you, there'll be hell to pay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

anybody want a 7800 for $125 send cash to me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:11 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Jeeze, I PMed somebody who was looking for a certain case. I was upgrading my system from the case he wanted, so I sent him a message about wanting to sell mine. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I was just trying to be helpful. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:08 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

jcordova1 wrote:
anybody want a 7800 for $125 send cash to me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hehe

Deal! We are going to pay through Western Union right? Anyways that is a GREAT deal!!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

This guy is ARRESTED!

He was arrested about a month to two months ago after I followed up in reporting it to the Lake Mary, Florida police department.

I spoke with assisstant district attourney of Seminole county in florida this morning who informed me that the guy was about 27 years old and is named Mike Richter. He actually used his real name with me and provided a fake address. He had no prior convictions.

The attourney informed me that he must pay back all money that was taken. This money will be paid to his parole officer who will cut checks to those he has stolen from. The district attourney told me that another person has informed them of the scam and that they are waiting for other people to come forward with their losses from this guy in order to strengthen their case.

So, it is being resolved and hopefully, I will get my money back. I am just happy that the scum bag is caught. It sounds to me that this guy was too naive in thinking he could get away with it and was pretty careless. '

Call district attourney Tina Pappis with the seminole County Sherriff's department at (407) 665-6213 to report your being scammed by this scumbag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:31 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Great news usasoccerboy! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get reimbursed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:07 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Yeah, great news usasoccerboy, all the best; and that guy Mike got what he deserved, I sound evil, I know, sorry to say but don't be a criminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, I am happy that I didn't let me stop building my dream machine. The only thing was I was unable to get the X2 chip and I settled on the 4000.

If anyone wants to buy it you can send me a few hundred dollars by western union.

Just kiddin....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

usasoccerboy wrote:
If anyone wants to buy it you can send me a few hundred dollars by western union.

Lmao.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have to report that so far only 2 people have come forward. Me, and the Corporal.

It is imperative for this scumbag to be prosecuted More of you who have been scammed need to come forward and report your being scammed to the Lake Mary, FL police department.

Right now, the guy is trying to weasel his way out by claiming that he was going to give us our orders since he was in the business to finding us the cheapest price as if we couldn't do that ourselves for ourselves.

So, he is really not being remorsefull to police and investigators and is not fully confessing.

So, Lake Mary needs all of us to come forward. Two cases is not enough to convict him on internet fraud. There needs to be more cases come forward for this to be solid.

The Seminole County prosecutors are concerned that not enough of us have been coming forward to report this abuse and following it up by filing a local police report and other details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:21 pm 

Sounds like you need to take justice into your own hands once he gets out....mafia style.

Baseball bat + scammer = Just as fun if not more than building a new kickass rig!!!

CMA that's a joke. But in all seriousness i hope this guy gets busted or what's comin to him some way or another because it's people like that who develop viruses and spyware to ruin our virtual playground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:27 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

i wanted to add in that if it is a reputable seller you should be able to IM, PM, or otherwise contact the pople they have sold to. speak to them and see what they hav to say it helps a great deal! i have be the victim of one of thease myself had i not spoke up to other people or contacted the FBI on it i would be out a pretty penny not to mention a pretty nickle too! :D
Do your homework before you shop sometimes cheaper isn't better!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yeah I made the mistake out of rash hastiness and while doing it was telling myself I should be cautious, but like a fish, I took the bait.

I learned a lesson and lost $410. I got the guy arrested.

He went to trial, and someone from their county called and told me he was entering pre-trial intervention.

I have no idea what that means, but I do know that I have not received my money back.

I assume the guy got off. It has been 2 months since when he was supposed to go to trial and nothing. No correspondence at all.

I bought and built my dream system any way.

I would like to have my money back, but more reason is that I would like to have some justice. I would then like to report that justice to all the other people he has ripped off from these kinds of forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The guy got off.

That mother Fucker better hide is all I have to say. I will find him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:18 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I would tend to NOT make public statements concerning someone's future health issues. If something happens to the guy, then you could very well be one of the first people they look at.

Sorry you got scammed. Pre-Trial Intervention is usually some type of rehab program. Judges have a tendency to let flimsy charges slide when some one seeks help like that. They should have buried the asshole for taking people's money, but evidently, it's awful hard for those guys on the bench to empathize with the victims.