Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fitting a modern PC into a Nintendo...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 pm 

You read right.

Me and my brother have the idea to fit one of AMDs new A-10 Richland CPU into the body of an old NES console.

So far, everything else is up for discussion, in terms of parts, planning, so forth.

I know some obvious issues are gonna be room for cooling, and where to stick the PSU. I want your feedback and any Ideas to get this done. If we can do it :D

Post subject: Re: Fitting a modern PC into a Nintendo...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

An NES case wouldn't provide enough ventilation for cooling an A series APU, unless you get creative. Plus there's the issue of heatsink clearance...

EDIT: I did find www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Nintendo-NES-PC/ , even though it's old, I'm guessing it used an Atom proc and it still reached 70C before adding some fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:42 am 

Overnight i brainstormed a few ideas. The NES is 10 in. wide, while a modern mini itx board Is less than 8 in. wide, giving me a little room on one side to load output fans, and have holes drilled on the top-oppisite end, allowing for full airflow over the board. Also making sure that the CPU fan blows down on the heatsink, helping out a bit.

I already know that the PSU is gonna be outside the box, cant help that. Also, no dedicated graphics.

Taking a peek at the video, he did his best to retain the case wherever possible. I dont plan for mine to look like an NES when im done with it.

Edit: ok, from the front it will look like an NES, but thats it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It'll add to the cost, but you should get a mini-ITX case with an external power supply and strip that part out. This will at least make it look clean and it should have enough power for lower power stuff, but not for an APU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:54 am 

OK. First of all, this is a thing now. Its happening.

Second. We have decided on the A-10 6700. For two reasons. 1- It has the horsepower were looking for. 2- a 250W PSU is sufficent to run that proc and anything we would want to attach to it. I really wanted to go for the big boy, but the extra 35W is too much power and heat for the performance we want. Also,the little guy will be far easier to cool.

I do have an old Micro ATX case that I plan to strip for wires and MOBO plate (i have all the tools I need to do this cleanly and safely)

One side will be loaded with fans, three 40mm output fans to be exact. We will leave the front panel of the NES as is (with some minor modifications to the power button so it dosen't stay stuck in when the unit is powered on)

Airflow will be from those three fans pushing air out, while they passively draw air in from the numerous vents located around the console (may add more). Also, the top will be getting a hole, covered by half-a-cartridge to give the CPU more breathing room, and to make it appear that a game is sitting on the top (retro!). With all things considered, we should be able to sufficiently cool it. We do not plan on overclocking it.

Parts: Broken NES Console
CPU: "Richland" A-10 6700 (3.8Ghz Quad, ATI 8670) 65W TDP
Mobo: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 FM2 AMD A75
PSU: Athena Power Mini ITX @ 220W (please confirm if this is sufficient)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @1600Mhz
HDD: 500GB WD Blue 2.5in @5400RPM
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (no reason for me to go to 8)

ordering parts shortly. Would like a second opinion. Will be updating this thread with pics and maybe a video if i get around to it.

... Ohhhhhh man, this is gonna be good! I got the jitters already!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 am 

After some collaboration with my brother, we can fit a closed loop liquid cooler. Just barely
Will begin construction within a week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Please post pictures when you're done. I'd like to see how it turns out.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:52 pm 

Due to my partner backing out on the project, for his own reasons, this wont be a thing. For now.