Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New to gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:29 am 

Hello. I'm new to gaming PC's. Every computer I've ever had I've bought prebuilt. The only experience I have in computer hardware was installing a CD burner in a computer about 10 years ago. I'm essentially completely new to PC building and I have almost no understanding of most computer hardware terms.

I'm interested in getting a gaming PC. Everywhere I go I read that it's better and cheaper to build your own than to buy prebuilt. I looked at Alienware and other websites and checked out their prices and I found them to be expense for my budget.

First I want a gaming PC that can handle playing games like Skyrim and GTA as well as games for the foreseeable future at the highest graphic level without frame rate problems or slowdown while also running mods. I want something that isn't large in size; something the size of the average desktop that you'd find from most major computer makers like HP. I plan on using my HDTV as my monitor using HDMI. I would also like to have at least 4 USB connections. My budget is between $800 and $1500. The least I can spend while keeping within my budget the better.

Is there any way to get the PC I desire with this budget? If so should I buy a prebuilt or should I attempt to build this myself? If I should build it myself, can someone please provide a list of all the parts / hardware that I'll need as well as prices? I do mean everything I'll need since I know almost nothing about building a PC. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New to gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1bBw8 I left you with about $200 to play with, not including tax + shipping. I'd also suggest consolidating vendors to minimize shipping.

Includes an OS (but if have one, you can exclude it). Does not include a case or optical drive since I don't know what you want there. Note that the CPU cooler requires a fair sizable Mid ATX case or bigger.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:02 pm 

Thank you, LatiosXT. For an optical drive, I just want a dual layer DVD burner. I have an external BD burner that I can use but I at least want the DVD burning capability without having to plug in my BD burner. As far as a case goes, I'm really not sure. Again, I just want something about the size you'd get if you bought a desktop from HP or something. I don't really have a lot of room for anything much bigger.

Another quick question is about the compatibility issues on the link you provided. What exactly does it mean? I have no idea what "clocking" is. Like I said I'm not really familiar with these terms.

Thanks.

(Edit)
I've taken your list and added a case and optical drive. Here it is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1bCWa

It puts the total cost a couple of dollars over my budget before taxes and shipping. I might be able to afford it if I wait for some prices to come down or if I select a different case and optical drive.

Do you think the case is good for this build or should I go with something else? I would like to get something that makes a statement in looks but yet is functional and quiet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also do you think that I should go with a different optical drive? I selected one based on brand and speed. I'm not sure about some of the brands since I have never heard of a lot of them.

I look forward to hopefully building my own gaming PC soon. Does everything I need come with all the items on the parts list or do I need more cables/wires or other hardware to put this together? I do have a PC tool kit. Is there anything else I'll need to do this build? Also is there a website that will give me step by step instructions on how to build this? I've never done any thing like this before and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but am ready to attempt it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

There's two problems here...

• You added another SSD. There's a 250GB version of the one I listed for about $160 at the lowest.
  • You should get 2x4GB RAM sticks instead of 4x2GB, it'll be cheaper (not by a whole lot, but cheaper)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:54 am 

Thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering why it raised the cost so much just adding the case and optical drive. I didn't realize that the other SSD was added. I also didn't realize that I added the 4X2GB. I thought I had the 2X4GB. I was basically copying the part list you provided. Now it's within my budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1bLYW

As far as the case and optical drive I've selected, will the case be large enough? Like I said I don't have a lot of space, but I would like to be able to add upgrades later on as well. Should I get a different optical drive? Something that's better for the same amount or just a little more? I'm not familiar with all the brands or their ratings.

I've noticed that other people get more than 1 fan for their cases. Do I need more than 1 fan? I'm clueless.

Again, Thanks for all your help LatiosXT.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The case has a removable hard drive cage from the looks of it, so you could fit even the mighty Titan or GTX 690. But I think your video card would fit regardless.

As for an optical drive, a DVD burner is fine. But its usage these days is dwindling rapidly