Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Core 17!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I have yet to pick up (or if I did I failed to see it) any Core_17's, I am still folding on 0x15. Anyway to help (force) my titans to get 17's?

::EDIT::

Never mind for what ever reason my beta tag did not carry over to 7.3.6. :?

Added the tag back in and just picked up two Core_17's

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:04 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Good morning all,

For my first post, I want to extend a big THANK YOU to all those in the community that have helped me over the past week with the knowledge from their posts, and give context for my enthusiasm!

With help from the posts found here, I was able to gain access to Core_17, which increased my ppd for my HIS IceQ 7870 GHz Edition card @ 1.11 GHz from about 5K to 60K-65K ppd.

This, coupled with the 10K-12K ppd from my i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz, is earning me about 70K ppd over the past week.

Earlier this year, I built my first machine, in response to the frustration of running my 8 year old Dell, and am quite pleased with the upgrade :lol: Sources such as MaximumPC were invaluable in the learning process to be able to understand the variables that go into choosing appropriately matched components, and I am especially happy that my current build is allowing me to contribute towards the F@H project. As a science teacher by trade, I am always on the lookout for opportunities for my students to get one step closer to having a direct impact in science as soon as possible, and the F@H project is exactly one of those opportunities.

Thank you again, and keep an eye out for LemurWrangler here, as well as on the EOC boards!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:23 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Core 17 rocks. I just started folding again after a long hiatus because my laptop couldn't handle the heat and was really looking forward to using my Radeon HD7950 OC and i5 4670k. I was sad then when my initial PPD for the 7950 was like 15k. The CPU was getting 10k. I learned how to use the Beta tag to get the 17 Core and BAM! Ran 70k PPD yesterday (and I turned it off for about a 1/4 to play games). Huge improvement.

I am going to let it run over the weekend full out and see how it does since I will be gone. Maybe I will try my hand at some moderate overclocking next week. It is an unlocked processor and OC GPU after all.

Any other tips I should use to boost PPD?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:01 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

For the most part, you've got yourself going in the right direction Scottie. I have a 7970 and I get a rating of ~110k PPD, but do end up getting less because of fluctuations in WUs and other things. I generally have been getting around 80k - 130k PPD with both my CPU & GPU folding since I have gotten my rig back up.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=516992

The most important thing to do is to have a supremely rock solid OC on the GPU and CPU. For GPU, I recommend that you find a comfortably low number as a starting point based on multiple reviews from multiple sources, then move up by 2-3 MHz a day from there. When you find the max stable point, back off by around 5 MHz and that should be your stable OC. For testing, I'd recommend Furmark or whatever else that is around that maxes out your GPU for a while (games don't max out GPUs enough).

For the CPU, the same procedure should work, but more rigorous testing should be run. SuperPi, Prime95, memtest, Intel burn test, and the usual suspects should be run for a bare minimum of two hours (not necessarily each test, but if you really want to test, do them all!).

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so take my advice for what it's worth (a digital $0.02) and nothing more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

AliusBU wrote:
7im wrote:
Better to delete the fahcore folder (not the work folder) and let it try to download the fahcore again.

Thanks 7im. Any luck, n0b0dykn0ws?

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Was able to get the new core, and was getting around a whopping 15K PPD.

But, I forgot how irritating it is to have to pause or quit the client every time I want to game (which is usually when I'm able to sit down at the computer these days).

I might rejoin the fold (hehe, get it?) when/if I upgrade to a new nVidia GPU, but for now I'm back to being out.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:56 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
AliusBU wrote:
7im wrote:
Better to delete the fahcore folder (not the work folder) and let it try to download the fahcore again.

Thanks 7im. Any luck, n0b0dykn0ws?

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Was able to get the new core, and was getting around a whopping 15K PPD.

But, I forgot how irritating it is to have to pause or quit the client every time I want to game (which is usually when I'm able to sit down at the computer these days).

I might rejoin the fold (hehe, get it?) when/if I upgrade to a new nVidia GPU, but for now I'm back to being out.

n0b0dykn0ws

I do the same thing with pausing the client when I want to game, but I believe the newest v7 clients if you set it to 'Medium' instead of 'Full' it will pause the GPU folding if you're using the PC. Not sure how well that feature works, though. I also didn't like how changing that slider can change the number of cores allocated for SMP folding, but I think medium won't mess with that, just enables/disables GPU due to idle, but maybe someone else with more info can correct me if i'm wrong on that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Meh, I just went ahead and changed it over to CPU/SMP Folding.

Churning out 12.5K PPD.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:53 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
Meh, I just went ahead and changed it over to CPU/SMP Folding.

Churning out 12.5K PPD.

n0b0dykn0ws

Coincidentally, now gaining on me at the rate of 12,486 PPD :)