Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: This or That
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:13 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'd go with Netflix, but primarily because of the particular device that I have hooked up to my TV (it doesn't have Amazon Prime). It seems like Netflix is quite a bit more prevalent, so it should be available on most anything that you get (phone, tablet, TV, etc.). Content wise, from what I've seen, the offerings are pretty close. I think that Netflix may have a bit more, but I only looked at prime a bit during my free trial with my Kindle. The variety is obviously a bit wider with Prime (not just video, but other multimedia content as well).

Curiosity killed the cat!

- or -

Question everything!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:18 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I'm somewhere in the middle, but closer to question everything.

Oil Changes

Do it yourself

or

Instant oil change

I used to do my own, but I can get it done by others cheaper now. Especially if I find a coupon. 17.99 is what my local place charges for both my vehicles, 97 Dodge Caravan with Valvoline Maxlife and my 2006 Mazda 3 with semi synth. I usually have a $5 off coupon making it 14.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:36 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

L1vingStone wrote:
I'm somewhere in the middle, but closer to question everything.

Oil Changes

Do it yourself

or

Instant oil change

I used to do my own, but I can get it done by others cheaper now. Especially if I find a coupon. 17.99 is what my local place charges for both my vehicles, 97 Dodge Caravan with Valvoline Maxlife and my 2006 Mazda 3 with semi synth. I usually have a $5 off coupon making it 14.

Do it yourself

I went back to doing it myself about 6 years ago. When I watched the tech...mechanic or what ever they call them, not only use the wrong oil but try and jam my air filter cover back in place after trying to sell me a new one. Hope you found a good shop.

Stationary home phone:

Land line

or

VoIP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

We JUST went away from land lines. It was a no brainer when there was a good bundle with tv, phone and internet. But I went to business class internet and got DirecTV. We did Magic jack for a while and it wasn't bad. I did vonage about 2 years ago and it sounded like a tin can, we went back to magic jack. Magic Jack works well and would still use it if we had any need for it.

Home decor and spousal interactions:

My wife has rearranged and changed the "theme" of our living room several times in the last year... and by my wife I mean, my wife has had me do said work. This includes new paint, some new furniture and even painting or stripping furniture.

When wife asks What do you think about the living room? (or any room that is in question)

Say: "I love it!" Trying to sell it is fine the way it is.

or

Say: "what is wrong this time?" Knowing full well that a project is immanent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Tell her I love it
Happy Wife, Happy Life

Now that AMD is back into the fold as it were:

AMD or NVidia and why.

I've always like NVidia all the way back to the Riva 128 days. Tried ATi several times, but was never impressed. Plus their drivers were less than good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:34 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Right now, I'm an AMD Radeon guy.
Getting ~110k PPD for around $310 with my entire rig pulling around 430 Watts from the wall is pretty good in my book (my CPU gets around 10-15k PPD too).

Country music:

Love it! I'm listening to it this very moment (at least in my head).
- or -
I hate it with a passion!
- or -
'Old school' country rocks! The new stuff isn't my flavor of country.
- or -
Meh... Pretty much indifferent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:55 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I am a folder, just haven't requested the team member badge.

Gonna have to go 'old school' country. From Hank Sr. to oh, maybe George Strait. With an emphasis on Outlaw (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson...).

I read the whole thread and whiskey, beer, steak and women have all been touched on, so I guess I'll go with...

WAR:
Set piece battles ala WWII

or

Counter guerilla/counter insurgency (Vietnam/Iraq)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:42 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I think I may be a little confused... but, what I understand your question to be is, what tactics do you like best in a war scenario?

If I had to chose one because a war was eminent, I would chose Counter guerrilla/counter insurgency. Its easier to quickly assemble small factions. Its only because of shear numbers and resources we're making a dent in the Taliban fight. Castro (though a top shelf ass hat and Che puppet) was very successful in fooling everyone and instilling fear with his tactics.

Anti Virus

or

No Anti Virus

if you're an apple user, I'd like to point you do the links below. According to a security summit in June, Apple OS and its users are the #1 Target of hackers due to the presumed demography of its users. The presumption is of course, that if you can afford a mac, you have some extra cash.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ ... 0920130219
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valle ... rget-apple
http://readwrite.com/2013/09/23/apple-t ... qvhmPikoWm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Definitely at least one anti-virus program and a slew of anti-spy/malware programs too!

How about this one:

If you have or could imagine having kids and price is not an object:

private school
- or -
private tutors
- or -
or any other option

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:59 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

As a father of 4, from high school to Kindergarten, this is a tough one.

My answer in short, it depends. There were several things important to my wife and I that were on the table for discussion.
Academic, social, sports/extra curricular and faith to name a few. We decided that though a good private Christian school would perhaps boost some bible knowledge, studies show that when it comes to teaching Christian principles, it starts at home. Then the academia part of the discussion really needs to come out of what is available to you in your area. There isn't a blanket rule for Public vs private vs charter. Talking with other parents and looking at test scores, graduation rates and other factors will give you a good start on making a good decision. For us, we found that our public school system actually sent a higher % of kids to college. Other factors that made an impact were racial diversity, AP classes and available resources to students and families. For elementary school we have had all of our kids on the waiting list for a local charter school and maybe our youngest will get in.

Chili

Beans

or

No beans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I appreciate your thoughts on schooling :wink:

One of the reasons that we recently moved was due to the quality of schools (public) available in our former area vs. our current area. Even though I actually graduated high school (and middle school) in the area that we lived and I did ok to fine, we felt that if we were to move to an area with 'better' schools, our kids would do better. I wish that I could improve the schools in the area that we were living in, but single-handed, I cannot. It seems to me that many people under appreciate the nuance of schooling, schools, and school districts. People tend to be ham-fisted and paint with a broad brush the issue of schooling. It's too bad :roll:

As for Chili, I'd have to say that if there isn't at least one kind of bean, then it's not chili.

How about this:

Favorite type of pizza:

Pepperoni
- or -
Cheese
- or -
"The Works", "Supreme", "with everything"
- or -
You name it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:13 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Gero1369 wrote:
I appreciate your thoughts on schooling :wink:

One of the reasons that we recently moved was due to the quality of schools (public) available in our former area vs. our current area. Even though I actually graduated high school (and middle school) in the area that we lived and I did ok to fine, we felt that if we were to move to an area with 'better' schools, our kids would do better. I wish that I could improve the schools in the area that we were living in, but single-handed, I cannot. It seems to me that many people under appreciate the nuance of schooling, schools, and school districts. People tend to be ham-fisted and paint with a broad brush the issue of schooling. It's too bad :roll:

As for Chili, I'd have to say that if there isn't at least one kind of bean, then it's not chili.

How about this:

Favorite type of pizza:

Pepperoni
- or -
Cheese
- or -
"The Works", "Supreme", "with everything"
- or -
You name it

I will eat any of those but my favorite is the Hawaiian with pineapple and Canadian bacon (not ham there is a difference) When it comes to Supreme it needs to be with large pieces of veggies, not all diced up, and the cheese needs to be on top of the veggies.

SO then deep dish or thin crust?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Thin crust makes a good crunchy snack.

Biking OR Running

P.S. Can we have a first post or something that keeps track of the "this or that" used so far?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:18 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I prefer biking. For me, running is more tedious. I've done both on a good basis.

For those of you that Linux for others (build a system and install some flavor of Linux for the end user):

Ubuntu
- or -
Mint
- or -
some other flavor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:02 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

For me, Mint. It is so light and you can build it up how you want it. That being said, I think Ubuntu is the greatest distro... at least in terms of getting people involved with linux. Novice to experts can use it out of the box.

Redbull

or

Monter

or

Other

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:59 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Yeah, Mint and Ubuntu both gave me the feeling of "Yes, I can do stuff" pretty immediately.

Never actually tried Red Bull, Monster tastes bad (at least the green ones I had did).

I'd have to go with Five Hour Energy. Just a little shot of that stuff, goes down easy and really works.

So, getting a job in IT:

Nothing beats hands on

or

Get those certs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:17 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Yeah, Mint and Ubuntu both gave me the feeling of "Yes, I can do stuff" pretty immediately.

Never actually tried Red Bull, Monster tastes bad (at least the green ones I had did).

I'd have to go with Five Hour Energy. Just a little shot of that stuff, goes down easy and really works.

So, getting a job in IT:

Nothing beats hands on

or

Get those certs

Hands on In my opinion but if you want to move up the ladder Get those certs!

Professional message OR ask the girl friend/wife?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:18 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

EasyE wrote:
Professional message OR ask the girl friend/wife?

I'd have to go with professional, but an inexpensive one. Massages can greatly vary in price, but I've found that a pretty decent one can be had for $1/min or less. They are even offered here at work on an every other week basis for $15 for 15 minutes (I've never actually partaken in that one). I prefer longer massages (an hour or so). I haven't had many in my increasing years; only three to five or so. The girlfriend/wife option sounds nice, but I usually end up giving her a massage and she just can't do it right for me. I like a hard, deep tissue kind of massage and she can't or won't do it that hard.

As for my last one (the Linux question), it was if you built a computer for someone else, not what you prefer, but the answers are fine.

Coffee:

From the barista (starbucks, local place, or whatever)
- or -
Only the finest Kureig for me!
- or -
brew it my own from the fine pre-ground large can-o-coffee (ala folgers, maxwell house, etc.)
- or -
Buy it, grind it, brew it, drink it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:30 am 
Million Club - 20+ Top 10
Million Club - 20+ Top 10

When it comes to coffee, all the above :D :mrgreen: :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

mfbowler1 wrote:
When it comes to coffee, all the above :D :mrgreen: :D

You broke the line, mfbowler1. And when did we got from "This or That" to "This or that or that or ..."??

So for Gero, I'll answer coffee from the can since I'm not a big coffee drinker anyway. When I drink coffee, it's coffee. Not some over-sweetened dessert.

Newegg OR Amazon?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next