Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shutting down for the month, maybe longer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

My wife and I are trying to cut costs, and, to that end, I'm taking October off from folding, so we can establish our baseline electric bill. Hopefully, come November, I'll be able to at least add back a machine or two (supplemental heating and all that :)), but, time will tell. Hope everyone else is having a good fall (or spring, for those in the southern hemisphere) folding season!

Post subject: Re: Shutting down for the month, maybe longer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It happens dude. I think I had to shut down most of the Summer and is a reality in folding...or any charity for that matter. If my power bill goes up $200 in an attempt to cure cancer and other protein folding mishaps, I'd love to get it as a write off in these economic times. Otherwise I do as I am and wait on Fall/Winter where I need a garage heater to even ponder firing one of them things up. And all the Holidays coming up? Come on!

It's pretty stagnant anyway. If Fermi is capped and AMD cards still halved with all their possible streams, it's a good time to wait out the whole thing and hope they figure it out. Firing up a pair of 670's or a farm of 460's for the same points seems pretty crazy when I get the bill in the mail; so I've been running silent as well. We'll see ya when it makes practical sense for you to fold for the cure again bud!
---------------------------------
Folder Troubles: I have a new boy pushing a year, step kid that needs to see a red-state Halloween, mom with boob cancer (the only way you can get us; we're cockroaches), me getting checked out for my own relapse check up the insurance demands; let alone the holidays coming up and need to leave presents. So by shutting down my folding a few months I have actual liquid money to do actual personal things for the cause for about a week. Ughhhh...we give a lot already and need to pull it back in to regroup. Why can't I write any of this off? Again...First World/Folding issues I know...but we can handle it.

Fold when you can but run your home the best it can. I don't think one person here would give you shit at all for backing off when you see something on your home-front that is even mildly alarming. We're not lost folders, we're just on pause while we work things out.

Post subject: Re: Shutting down for the month, maybe longer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks for the kind words, and all the best to your mom also!

I hear you on the holidays too, heck of a time of year, for sure