Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I tell that I will install parental control on his PC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:07 pm 

As summer approaches, I have read a piece of news that Connecticut Better Business Bureau urges parents to thoroughly prepare their children before allowing them to spend time unsupervised on the Internet. I really get a big headache about this. As busy working parents, we have little time to stay around my kid while he is surfing the Internet. He especially likes to make friends in the social networks. I am so worried that he might be instigated to do something illegal that I wanna put parental monitoring software on his computer to monitor all his online activities. I don't mean to pry into his privacy. Should I tell my child that I will install parental monitoring software on his PC?

Post subject: Re: Should I tell that I will install parental control on hi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yes, however, you shouldn't word it in such a way that it sounds like you're going to be big brother.

You should however set up a bunch of front line defenses. Get some internet filtering, make sure he's not running the computer as an administrative account, etc. Windows does have parental locks for standard accounts as well. And where you go from there is up to you.

EDIT: Actually you should probably just educate your son more about internet safety and being weary of strangers online and set up privacy options so some creeper can't see his account.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:05 pm 

In my opinion, you should tell your kid that you will monitor him. As parent, you should respect his privacy. Otherwise, it might cause conflict between you and your kid. I remember that when I was 12 year old, my dad installed a spy program Micro keylogger in my computer to secretly spy on me without my knowing. I was so angry that I ran away from home for a week. I never do anything bad. If they had told me, everything would be okay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:56 pm 

If you tell your kid that you will monitor him online, what is your point of monitoring him? He can still use his friends' computers to explore the Internet without your notice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:27 pm 

Yoshakily wrote:
If you tell your kid that you will monitor him online, what is your point of monitoring him? He can still use his friends' computers to explore the Internet without your notice.

My child seldom goes out during the summer vacation. He spends most of the time watching videos or surfing Internet at home.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:43 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Yes, however, you shouldn't word it in such a way that it sounds like you're going to be big brother.

You should however set up a bunch of front line defenses. Get some internet filtering, make sure he's not running the computer as an administrative account, etc. Windows does have parental locks for standard accounts as well. And where you go from there is up to you.

EDIT: Actually you should probably just educate your son more about internet safety and being weary of strangers online and set up privacy options so some creeper can't see his account.

Although everyone has the right to know the truth, children are too young to understand what their parents monitoring them and just think that you do not want them do scan some websites. The more you restrict them, the more curious they are to watch those webs you want to be banned.
So in my opinion, you can tell them what you really did until they have grown up to understand you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:28 am 

susanal wrote:
In my opinion, you should tell your kid that you will monitor him. As parent, you should respect his privacy. Otherwise, it might cause conflict between you and your kid. I remember that when I was 12 year old, my dad installed a spy program Micro keylogger in my computer to secretly spy on me without my knowing. I was so angry that I ran away from home for a week. I never do anything bad. If they had told me, everything would be okay.

I will take all your suggestions into consideration. Thx for your help.