Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acer is in my dog pound
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:41 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook and the hd died. Completely dead. You can't access it by any means.
I have an external drive setup that will accept these 2.5" drives and plug into a USB port. Tried that and still nothing.
I have a spare 2.5" drive that works. So I installed that and then contacted Acer about recovery software. It's normally on a hidden partition but since the drive itself was toast I couldn't access it.
The site said "Availability of eRecovery media on CDs/DVDs or Thumb Drive is based on your model." Okay, no problem. My netbook doesn't come in any configuration with an optical drive. So my media will be sent on a thumb drive. Cool.
Not so. They sent CD's. You would think that a company that sells these without opticals would make the recovery on something other than CD's/DVD's.
I sent them an email asking essentially 'what am I supposed to do now? why didn't you send recovery on thumb drive?'
Their answer:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Unfortunately, recovery thumb drives are
available for a limited number of models of our computers. If, when entering your SNID or
serial number, there is no option for a recovery thumb drive, this means that only
recovery discs are available for your particular model. If your model does not have a
built in optical drive, you will need an external optical drive to run these discs.

If you have further questions, please call us at 800.910.2237 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm CST.

Thank you,
eCommerce

So they are telling me that I have to go buy an external cd drive to install the recovery software. They couldn't figure out that a non-optical drive computer needs a thumb drive recovery set?
Acer is not longer on my list of approved vendors. I'll go elsewhere.